Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i have introduced my first set of males to my 75 gallon viv (which can be seen in my gallery). I have a few more that I am ordering soon, and then I have 5 young frogs that I am going to wait on introducing.

My question is this, what do you people that have good experience in breeding thumbnails think of this project I am undertaking? THe viv is 22 x 13 x 48 (HxWxL). It has TONS of space for vents. Anyway, I am planning on a group of about 11 in the next few months being in there. I am going to let them do their own thing, and let them raise all young (maybe food supplements will be given to tads, if I can find them and if they need them). Is it possible to have them going as a self sustaining (as in breeding) colony? Will the young be able to survive? THis is my first time attempting something as this, and am a bit concerned. So anyone's ideas would be well appreciated. Also, I am looking for insect species which have an aquatic larvae (similar too mosquito's) that would thrive in the viv, as a food source for future tads. Thanks, and I hope I can get some good ideas flowing. Sorry for this being so confusing, :roll:

Ed Parker

·
Registered
621 Posts
I like the idea, I plan on doing a similar tank with a 25 gal. tall. I am going to introduce about 10-12 vents into this tank. I would try to include as many infestastions as possible. With all those frogs and soon to be neonates, your going to want a nice reproducing food supply in the viv. Maybe you can make a springtail culture spot, where you can replace springtail cultures periodically. As for other aquatics, is daphnia possible. Maybe one of the varieties could make it.

G

·
Ed,

Sounds like a great idea...but 11 vents loose in a 75 gallon tank. Lets put it this way my 2.2 in a ten gallon puts out 10 eggs every 5-7 days. Im currently sitting on approx 60 vent tads. I cant even imagine how insane the production would be with a group of 11 vents. :shock:

If your going to allow the vents to raise their own tads make sure you have multiply tad raising sites. Vent tads are very canabilistic so in order to insure that you do get some production out of your colony provide lots of film canisters and lots of small ponds or water for the vents to deposit tads.

As for an aquatic food source...You might try culturing daphnia or brine shrimp and adding them in. Do a search on Reefcentral.com and you'll find all the info you need.

Matt

·
Registered
306 Posts
You will definately have your hands full in that tank. I have 5 Vents (1.4 combo) in a 110g and I am having a hard time keeping up with all the eggs. In a 75g there will be fairly limited space for all the Tadpoles (you will literally have hundreds in there within 6 months... maybe more) and they will begin eating eachother. I recommend letting a few raise themselves in there, but still put some film canisters and raise many yourself as well. You will make more money that way anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts