Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just getting started on my 75 gallon. Thought I'd put together a thread to show my progress so far, and all the way through what I've nicknamed "F-Day". I'm planning on doing a group of Auratus. There will be no water feature, I've had them in the past but no longer find them necessary. Any comments, helpful tips, maybe a concern you see that I might have glanced over, it's all appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Before you get to far, you might want to think about making a false bottom "box", and then wrapping it the mesh or weed blocker. It will also be much easier to hide by stuffing pebbles in between the box and the glass.

Also, you might want to try building out the background to give it some depth. The main reason people use expanding foam is for detail work, making structures, and attaching large naturals to the background. As of right now, I think you probably could have just used a flat piece of foam board. Driftwood, rocks and corckbark can all be used to build out structures and overhangs. It might not be what you are going for, but hopefully you get a few ideas.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not really too concerned with hiding the false bottom, only about a half inch or so of it shows up past the trim. As far as with the background, I did it that way, because I didn't want the landscaping to be dependent on how I set up my background. I'm one of those that when I'm landscaping will try things 3 or 4 different ways before I settle on the one I like. Then of course the next day a friend will come over and say "hey why don't you try this". HaHa. You can't really see it in the picture but on the left side I build a mound out of GS that will give the background some definition. Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, after a long weekend, and 15 and half tubes of silicone, the background is done! I really like the way it turned out. As I stated before, I didn't want the background to be overbearing in the tank, but still give the depth and look of the GS/silicone. Pictures will follow as soon as the glare off the glass goes away.

One question for you all.... I've always used the fiberglass/pvc (i'm not sure the plastic kind) of screening to cover the false bottom. I was over at my dad's this weekend and he had old aluminum screening laying around, will that work as well, or should I avoid it? figured since it's free i could try it. Thanks for any help with that.

Thanks for all the replies and help!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Aluminum will rust, and can be toxic to your vivarium. Avoid metals in general; amphibians especially are very sensitive to harmful substances.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are a few pics of the background completed... I'm really happy with the way it turned out!

Thanks for the responses on the screening, looks like i'll be heading to Menards to find something besides the metal screen.

Do most people use the ABG mix, or do you make your own? Back when I was keeping herps, we used to use a mix that was in an old "Reptiles" magazine... we mixed all the different components with Eco Earth. Any opinions?

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts