Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D Yea! Im getting a 75 gallon tank and stand for christmas and i was wandering what lighting and heating i should use. And what dendrobate is really bold, eats quickly, and is large, and under $40$ :) And that is not Cobalt tincs,cause i allready have those. And 1 more question i think is stupid... can i put boiled cedar wood in the tank? I heard NO but that was somewhere els. I think its a no, but im not shure. ;-) Thanks for the help.

Paul

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Hey paul,
That is greatyou are getting that large of a tank. I am no expert, but I have heard that Phyllobate terribilis are very bold. They aren't to expensive, also, azureus are supposed to be bold, but they are a little bit more, but if you look around you can find them for 40 dollars. Hmm, I have heard the leucomela's are bold, and they are also very beautiful frogs, way under your 40 dollar mark. Anyway, good luck. Oh yeah, I don't think I would use the cedar. I forget what it gives off, but it is not good, unless it is a really old weathered piece. If it is fresh, or still has that cedar smell, dont use it.

Ed Parker

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, i know of a piece thats old, but ill not use it to be on the safe side. I was doing some frog research and i found something interesting! :shock: Dendrobates lehmanni, i hear there an OK frog, but hard to breed. And there bold, but i think they might be expensive. ?!? But im shure ill find a breeder of this species someday. But im setting the tank up when i get my stand. Heres my plan for the tank, ill have a 2 inch. falsebottom, then screen (plastic) then i will cover the bottom 4 or 3 inches with smart stuff foam, and the back and 1 side. Ill let it harden, then cut out 2 streams and a waterfall. Well, just a few ideas, but im shure ill get the idea. Thanks for the help and sugestions. :D

Paul

·
Super Moderator
3,586 Posts
It's called "great stuff", and you're better off just using it as a background. And you should probably forget about the Lehmanni, besides being at least 5 times your price range, I believe that they are very difficult frogs, both to breed and keep. (Hence very difficult to find.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
df

For a first frog I would definately recommend leucomelas. They are beautiful, hardy, large, and healthy eaters from what I've seen. For a first tank, I would also recommend to read all you can about these wonderful animals and their tanks, and pick your most feasable tank design. Some are more complex than they have to be, and some are beautifully simple.

But for the frog - definitively leucs.

They are my favorite frogs so far. (heheee. "so far")

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Paul, lehmanni are dififcult frogs to keep and breed, rarer than histrionicus, if you were able to find somebody willing to sell them they would be at least $400 a piece.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok then. :) Ill look up info on the terrebris and leucomas and see if its my kind of frog. ;-) Ill probably just use great stuff on the back with some woods of variuos shapes. Thanks for the help all. :)

Paul

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was wandering what in the world springtails look like, as it sounds like good food for dendrobates. And i was wandering if i could keep 1 or 2 tropical smalllllll geskos in the 75 gallon with the debndrobates? I can expect a frown from an expert but i was wanderig if i can keed em together. And how many dendrobates of dendrobates terribilis can i keep in the 75 gallon with/without the geckos. Thanks for the help. :)

Paul

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
They are a tiny white insect, only a couple of mm's long, and when disturbed "spring" away. They are a great supplemental food, and I suggest adding some to you tank, as they will give your frogs around the clock food.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, ill try to find some... do they live in Indiana? And do you know about the geckos? I was thinking day geckos but they require fruit mixtures and fruit and some other larger foods. Or i might not get em. Anyways thanks for the help. :D

·
Registered
639 Posts
Paul, I noticed that you were planning on using great stuff for your background. It's very important that you seal all of it off with 100% silicone. When great stuff is exposed to water, it breaks down and releases chemicals that will kill your frogs. Blackjungle has a great page that walks you through how to make a background from great stuff. I'd also visit the "parts" forum if you haven't already. There are plenty of threads in that forum about constructing a vivarium.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
WOW...I didn't know that. I used Elmer's pro-bond to adhere the coco. Do you think that will seal Great Stuff?

DaFrogMan said:
Paul, I noticed that you were planning on using great stuff for your background. It's very important that you seal all of it off with 100% silicone. When great stuff is exposed to water, it breaks down and releases chemicals that will kill your frogs. Blackjungle has a great page that walks you through how to make a background from great stuff. I'd also visit the "parts" forum if you haven't already. There are plenty of threads in that forum about constructing a vivarium.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Auratus are usually very bold and you can get froglets for about 15 dollars(green and black) and other morphs for under 40.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
DaFrogMan said:
Do you have proof? What exactly are the chemicals that are released?
I find it hard to belive if it really is that toxic, that it could be sealed well enough to even be considered for use in a frog tank.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Woah! allot has happened since i was gone. Ill try to get some sealent for the tank. Thanks for the help and im probably going to get my frogs form Quality Captives cause there the closest dealers near indiana. And, do springtails live in Indiana? And can i keep Day geckos with my frogs. Thanks for the help!

Paul

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
YAY!
The proces is in the works! I got all my wood and foam for the tank and its going along splendid. Now i am going to get the coco-fiber substrate and lay it down. :) Its my first time with the foam so i hope i didnt put too much. Cant wait to post pics.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got the power-jet pump working, er... its really strong. I put in a hole. So it shoots out in 2 places into the ground. I made little "sink holes" for the water to go in. Its in the process. :) I ran out of dirt, so i will get some dirt from under a stump in the woods. :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts