Dendroboard banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my first ever Vivarium build. I am going to add 2 broms and some moss later on. I built this with the intent of my red eyes but as I finished It i think I want to go with some smaller tree frogs. Any recomendations? I have 1 lonely female clown frog and this may be the best time to get some more. But I want to hear some ideas on frogs and maybe what I can do to the tank. Please watch my youtube video and let me know what you guys think. Thank you

72 Gallon Vivarium Almost finished - YouTube

If any mod knows how to make it so the video is directly on here can you please fix it for me , Thank you

Also I will be adding pictures as I can as updates

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Its shaping up nicely. If you are planning on doing treefrogs, I would definitely put some larger broad-leaved plants in there. Aglanoema is a great plant for tf tanks; its hardy, inexpensive, widely-available, and tf's love it. Spathiphyllum works as well if you don't like Aglanoema. I would put some cork tubes in there as hides, most tf's seem to like them. I would also consider blacking out the sides; not only will this "frame" the view more (and hide the foam), but it will reduce stress (i.e. your frogs will feel more comfortable and will be more active). With all that said, it would still make a great dart viv once you get it planted more.
Keep the updates coming,
-Field

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Field. Everythime I loo at it I can see a awesome dart frog viv lol which ismaking it hard for me to pick. I think I am going to go with clown tree frogs. I am going to add plants as I go. This tank will remain empty for a couple weeks as I add more plants. I do not want to add frogs in it then mess around with the tank while they are in it. I will look into the plants you have listed.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds awesome. I have ordered Monkeyfrogs from Mike before. I honestly have been buying stuff and working on this tank little by little so I am enjoying taking it slow, so is my wallet lol.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Mike should have some coming of age soon. Ebrecatta's (hourglass frogs) would be good for it too. And as field said, broad leaved plants would be a good investment. Grab a pot of philodendrons from a nursery our hardware shop if your on a budget. Function over fashion lol.

the tanks lokking good so far too!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Im sorry I should have clarified, I meant the other vine looking plant in there, the purple one.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A UPDATE:

I have almost everything now. Everything is planted in except for a creeping plant that will cover the background. Still looking. I have changed my mind and I am going to go the dart route.Here are some updated picture please comment.

I love this one. The stump of driftwood is amazing

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I dig the brom sitting on top of the cork round, that'll probably be even cooler after it starts pupping all over the place!

Reactions: jbherpin

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Please look back at my post about the spanish moss. It can cut the frogs and use of it is not recommended in this hobby.
Other than the potential hazard you have there the viv looks great.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Please look back at my post about the spanish moss. It can cut the frogs and use of it is not recommended in this hobby.
Other than the potential hazard you have there the viv looks great.
It's hit and miss - As for the "cutting" they say to just be cautious about it when it dries up. If it's alive it shouldn't be bad as long as you can keep it alive which is hard to do in common vivarium conditions.

The dried bag variety you find at craft stores definitely just avoid all together as the link provided above will tell you why.

I just avoid it because after a while it'll make a mess with all the moisture. I've personally never been a fan of spanish moss in vivs and just keep it outside with the bigger broms. Good luck and I really like how the broms are mounted

1 - 15 of 15 Posts