Dendroboard banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #41
Read like 2-4 post above this one 馃槃

Registered
Discussion Starter #42
And thanks for the compliment. 馃檪 They are all budget friendly and fruitfly proof aswell, unlike exoterra..

Registered
Discussion Starter #43
I can't wait to see the offspring he or she hopefully will produce!

Registered
I decided to give the dark cork a try based on this post. The stuff I used definitely isn't as thick so I doubled/trippled it up to make the fake branches and used black silicone in between. The vivarium is an Exo-Terra 18x18x18. Now I could use some advice on what moss or plants gives a good cover on the background. What I can say so far is I am happy the way it hold's and wicks moisture.

I have purchased some baby's tears and this product called moss milkshake. I have seen results so far in my vivariums with the baby's tears but no dice on the moss milkshake. Maybe that takes more time.

What should I try? My vivariums always end up looking JV compared to what I see on here.

Registered
Discussion Starter #45
I think you should add more pieces of driftwood to create depth and levels in the tank. Also make some extra 'branches of cork roots' on the side. I also used multiple layers to create them. 馃檪

You can use different kinds of moss, cut them up and mix water to make your own moss milkshake.

Have fun!

Registered
The vivarium today :

I agree with needing more drift wood to make more of a layer. I used mopani in the back. I have to find a few good pieces. I should also like you said add another big cork piece to the left side midway up but thought buying a few epiweb branches might look better. I don't think I would even see the cork anymore once things start growing in. I'm afraid to make my own moss milkshake because I wouldn't know how to sterilize it without killing it. I have another post on "what are these worms/nematodes" in my vivarium and I don't want to see them in here.

I would love to ask what some of the things are in your vivarium. I'm going to take a picture and circle a few so I can go out and buy them later on today.

Registered
Discussion Starter #48
Sure go ahead. In the older photo's there is a lot more to see that is not overgrown already 馃槃

Yes, I understand why you would not make your own mix. You can also use aquariummos and cut that up

Registered
Very nice build!
I have a few questions:
1. Which Selaginella species did you plant?
2. How did you mount/plant your M. sintensii? I really have problems to grow these.

But I must admid, I am a bit disappointed about the Skylight LEDs...
I also thought of using them for my new build...but as one can see with your timeline-fotos, your bromeliads really lost much of their red color. They also differ havy in color temperature. My Neoreaglias love a cheap 6500 K hardware store spot.

Registered
Discussion Starter #50
Thank you!

1)no idea tbh, I got it as a small cutting of 2cm once..
2)I use toothpicks to plug it and a bit of spagmoss underneath the stem. That's it..

The bromeliads we're under the very same lamps before they we're introduced to this tank, the leds made them so beautifull pink(redish) in the first place. Before that, they we're just some green Neoregelia. The problem is that there is a lot of glas corrosion in this specific tank due to the age of the vivarium and the Lack of maintenance from the previous owner. So the light does not shine through nice clear glass as it did before the plants and lamps moved tot this vivarium.. But I don't mind to be honest, It just the lower of the 3 that got to be more green.. :)

My lamps don't differ in color temperature and I have a bunch of different lamps dividend over different vivariums. Only the MID-30 have a different color temperature, I have them in another topic of the 60x40x50 tank on this forum if you're interested in seeing that result/look over time. ;)

To bad you are disappointed in the lights. Imo they are probably the best vivarium leds out there atm, depending on what people want from their lamps. If one needs a lamp to also heat a vivarium, I still recommend using T5 lamps instead of leds.. If someone has frogs that are more shy, I would recommend using lights with lower lumen.

If your local hardware store lamps works good for you, I recommend not to change them. If it works, it works.. :)

Registered
The bromeliads we're under the very same lamps before they we're introduced to this tank, the leds made them so beautifull pink(redish) in the first place.
Good to know! I will look into your other topic - I hav the MID in mind - but were abit sceptical because of the high color temperature

41 - 52 of 52 Posts