Dendroboard banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Those are some great looking frogs! Congratulations on the addition! Are Oophaga a species you can't sex till you see calling and eggs?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks! They are realy hard to sex. That is the only for sure indicator.

Reactions: minorhero

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would like to know how the background and sides were done. I read you used dark cork. Also I see you built it up in spots like dirt over the wood. How did you do that? I am searching for alternatives because theexpanding foam with silicon is not fun and this seams way more effective. It looks like you just pinned bromides and get moss growing. This has to be far less messy.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I cut pieces of cork to the size I want, use rvs pins and aquariumglue to attach them to the background and each other. First I like to position them with toothpicks so I can easily change them up if I want to.

For finishing, I crave them with a small screwdriver so they look like branches or roots 🙂

I have some shots from another tank I made that shows this process :

foto omzetten van png naar jpg

Reactions: aapuzzo

·
Registered
109 Posts
I cut pieces of cork to the size I want, use rvs pins and aquariumglue to attach them to the background and each other. First I like to position them with toothpicks so I can easily change them up if I want to.

For finishing, I crave them with a small screwdriver so they look like branches or roots 🙂

Thanks. The carving was the key. I may try this out today since I think craft stores sell the dark cork tile near me. Trying to find better options to avoid using silicon over expanding foam. It's messy and I always seem to have to touch it up a bunch of times. Not cheap either after you use 3 tubes of aquarium grade silicon and 2-3 cans of pond greatstuff. I guess the good thing is you don't have to wait for the vivarium to grow in before it starts to look good.

·
Registered
204 Posts

For finishing, I crave them with a small screwdriver so they look like branches or roots [snip]
Hey Tijil -- these look like the regular cork tiles available for crafts and home improvement, etc. -- is that what they are?

I ask because I'm wondering how the product is manufactured ... is it just compressed without any glues or chemicals used? Did a quick search and an identical looking product is available in Canada, but I haven't yet found information on how it's made, maybe you can offer some insight? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hey Tijil -- these look like the regular cork tiles available for crafts and home improvement, etc. -- is that what they are?

I ask because I'm wondering how the product is manufactured ... is it just compressed without any glues or chemicals used? Did a quick search and an identical looking product is available in Canada, but I haven't yet found information on how it's made, maybe you can offer some insight? Thanks!
These panels are made of pieces of cork compressed by heat and pressure. So these actualy 'glue' together by the cork's resin.

·
Registered
204 Posts
These panels are made of pieces of cork compressed by heat and pressure. So these actualy 'glue' together by the cork's resin.

Thanks, I did some more searching and see references to resin and also to low VOC or zero-VOC products used in their manufacturing.

It’s an interesting material and I’d like to try it, just need to find a specific product here I feel is safe.

One other thing ... do you make allowances for expansion when you fit it? Or is that not a big issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Thanks, I did some more searching and see references to resin and also to low VOC or zero-VOC products used in their manufacturing.

It’s an interesting material and I’d like to try it, just need to find a specific product here I feel is safe.

One other thing ... do you make allowances for expansion when you fit it? Or is that not a big issue?

If you find something, can you let me know? I'm interested in trying this style out myself.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you find something, can you let me know? I'm interested in trying this style out myself.

Will do. Nothing definitive yet; I’ll try to contact the manufacturer of a likely looking product, and ascertain whether that particular product line has stains or adhesives in it.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
No, I did not realy leave allot of room on purpose since it does not expand. I had some gap between the corkpanel and the upper glas oabel due to the build of the terrarium it self wich I filled up with sphagnum.

I'll make work in to posting a new topic of the other 70x50x65cm vivarium. I took photo's of every step of that build.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
What kind of enclosure is that? Is that custom built?

Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk
What do you mean by 'what kind of enclosure is that?' ?

There are many glas terrarium builders in Europe, but I have no idea what builder made this. I got this older 4 x 70x50x65cm rack from a friend who quit the hobby and rebuild 2 tanks so far. The other 2 I use for growing plants at the moment.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok I meant the terrarium. Like what brand is it. So if I understand it was custom made by the previous owner. It looks really nice from the front. Your work is also fantastic

Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I'm glad you like it! 🙂

It's not costume build by the previous owner himself, but I do think he had it custom made.

We have a ton of builders here, most provide excellent quality and very good prices.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Beautiful tanks. Do you build your own or do you purchase the tank itself from somewhere/someone else? They're much nicer looking than my exo-terra in my opinion.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts