Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

The viv has been finished for roughly 7 weeks now. Fully planted, and has grown in well. Getting ready for R. vents that arrive in Jan - hopefully (show in Portland Or. and our order is in). Lots of space to jump and climb, with a long 'run' on the top of the tank. The top run is covered in a moss mix - that stuff from Petsmart that is dormant and rarely grows - I had good luck with it, it's growing nicely at both the bottom and top of the viv.

All the little gaps are plugged, and plenty of hiding spots. Springs are in substrate and very happy. Flies and springs are reproducing well in their respective homes. Temps are stable, (mid 70s with a dip during the cold hours) and humidity is 85-90% on a regular basis. Lit with T5s (48w total). ABG substrate, leaf litter, GS background with silicone and coir (some cork bark too). A couple of vines using the silicone and coir method. Pics below.

FTS

Right side of viv from the top - here you can see the following (right to left):
  • Pilea involucrata (clipping just planted)
  • Tillandsia iocantha
  • Streptocarpus saxorum
  • Mediocalar decoratum (wrapping around Budda)
  • Bulbuphyllum sp (on vine and back wall)
  • Tillandsia bulbosa
  • Epidendrum porpax (just peeking through on left side)
  • Java moss

Left side of viv from the top - here you can see the following (right to left):
  • Neoregalia sp. (Mickey Mouse)
  • Pilea involucrata
  • Rhipsalis baccifera (Mistletoe cactus)
  • Neoregalia sp. (Pepper - with pup)
  • Pilea sp. (clipping mounted to waterfall edge)

Almost a FTS from top - here you can see the following (above the pond):
  • Pilea sp.
  • Pilea involucrata
  • Neoregalia sp. (Mickey Mouse - with pup)

All plants came from Small Hill Orchids in Spokane, WA - thanks Erin (aka - Orchid Lady here). Thanks to everyone here for their help - couldn't have done it without you.

- ryan

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both! We cant wait for the little ones next month - and the grow in is already looking good. Lots of little mosses that are popping up in random spots.

- ryan

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
looks good. I like your choice of plants, nice orchid selection. I would recommend ditching that fluorescent light set up and getting something in the 6500 K range to get rid of that red hue the viv has. The 6500k will really bring out the greens and look much nicer.

ed parker

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
looks good. I like your choice of plants, nice orchid selection. I would recommend ditching that fluorescent light set up and getting something in the 6500 K range to get rid of that red hue the viv has. The 6500k will really bring out the greens and look much nicer.

ed parker
Thanks!

One bulb is 6500k, the other is "unknown" and came with the setup but it was for plant growth. The reddish hue is my awful camera - it's not that bad in person. But I do plan on replacing the unknown bulb with another 6500k in the near future.

- ryan

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope - but it looks like it. LOL. It is strapped to a piece of bark with a little sphagnum - the bark is actually over a dip in the soil that makes a nice hiding spot for the thumbs. The one on the back is stuck into a little nook with tree fern below it and held up with skewers.

- ryan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts