Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 7 gallon horizontal sort of enclosure, would any frogs be able to live in it? And if not frogs, any suggestions? I realize it's way way tiny, so only the smallest of critters could possibly be kept in it and even then it's still pretty dinky. Invertebrates maybe?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Possibly you could try some of the bumblebee toads, or a small ambush predator such as the Ceratophrys stolzmanni. If those interest you, just double check with some of the people on here that raise those species to get a better answer about the size.

Personally, I think it is the perfect size for a tarantula.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Can be kept for grow out tank for small frog(s), or quarantine... Or maybe a place to grow plants before putting them in their permanent enclosure.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You could perhaps try your luck with some kind of cool looking crab. Very similar setup to a DF enclosure.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Depending on species you can raise some tads in it too. I have a lot of "Euro" friends that use dirt as a substrate. They put pond mud on the bottom, then cover that with small pebble gravel. The plants go CRAZY in there and it is a better source of filtration for tads(biological filtration/biological breakdown/what ever you want to term it is superior to mechanical filtration in all aspects. Biological filtration through the use of live plants does not disturb the water column, it does add A very realistic enviro in which the tads can grow. The only concern would be the occassional loss to cannabilism, and just weak frogs. My position has always been that the weak tads will not make good pets or breeders, so let nature take it's course. That is why I favor groups of tads in enclosures like this(4 tads max), you will quickly see which tads are strong, and which are weak. This is just my position, and I am sure others may/will dissagree...

JBear

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input guys. :) While I'd love to have a water feature like a pond in the tank, it's going to be a sort of portable display viv... I'll put together a build thread to better explain. Tarantulas are neat, but admittedly they give me the heebee geebies. A place for froglets would work down the road, but this one's going to be exhibited in about a month. Vampire crabs would probably work, they don't need much room and I already have a colony of them.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I second the horned frog idea. They don't seem to move much from their ambush hole unless they poop in it. They don't do much, but feeding time is fun :)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Im gonna have to say a house gecko............. sike id use it as a grow out tank or a crab habitat or maybe even a small tropical skink may work

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm looking into Vittatus as my first dart... If I got them as froglets, how long could they live within this enclosure? Getting froglets is probably a no-no as a beginner, but I'm curious. Oh, and does "juvenile" = froglet? The terminology seems to be interchangeable.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Vittatus use all space provided, so the more the better. I am sure they would be fine in there temporarily, but I would be quick to upgrade. How many are you talking about? I would not put more than 2 in a 7 gal, even as a temp home...

JBear

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Definitely just two for now. :)

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I'm looking into Vittatus as my first dart... If I got them as froglets, how long could they live within this enclosure? Getting froglets is probably a no-no as a beginner, but I'm curious. Oh, and does "juvenile" = froglet? The terminology seems to be interchangeable.
I wouldn't say getting froglets is a "no-no" for beginners; in fact most of the new members here start out with froglets. As long as they are healthy, and old enough to be easily eating fruit flies, they should be just fine and no less difficult than caring for adults. The age terminology is somewhat different from person to person; some people may consider a froglet and juvenile to be the same while others may decide "juveniles" are older. Typically, from youngest to oldest, it would be something like: tadpole, froglet, juvenile, sub-adult, adult. The confusion sometimes comes from how you define each stage and how old the frogs must be to be described as such, so I have much better understanding talking with breeders if I just ask how old frogs are (in months from the time they turned into a frog) than asking their size in terms of froglet, juvie, etc. which vary and can be ambiguous. So, if you aren't exactly sure, don't hesitate to ask the breeder to clarify and give an actual age. Hope that makes sense.
Bryan

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Exactly the info I needed, thanks Bryan. :) Off to start up the build thread for this viv! (and update the Mario Bros thread)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts