Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone's ever put together a RETF vivarium. I have a small male mixed in with a white's, a white lipped, a cuban and a gold. As far as mixing, there's never been an issue because the tank is 18x18x24 and these frogs literally only care about two things: eating and sleeping. Anyway, the local pet stores are starting to carry RETFs and I picked this male up a few months ago and now I see the females are much larger. I mean, I knew about the size differences when I bought the male, but it was more of an impulse purchase than a calculated decision. Now that I just finished my first 10g viv, I want to build two more, one for darts and one for a pair of RETFs. Any ideas? Any particular plants?

Thanks!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Re: anyone ever made a RETF viv?

if your going to get another red eye tree frog. I'd get a bigger tank then a 10gal. i have 1 in a 45 gal and he uses every inch of it. as for plants they can use anything with big leaves. I personaly have broms on the background with philodendron mixed in.(nothing fancy)also if you get the female you have to remember they might breed. not a bad thing but you need to keep in mind they will lay alot at once. but over all i love keeping them

·
Registered
1,916 Posts

Spathiphyllum is the way to go plant-wise. They will flourish, especially if you have a false -bottom they can tap into. They redeyes will spend a lot of time right out in the open on the spath because they feel comfortable. I would say that a pair need something like an 18x18x24 zoomed or so. Also, cubans secrete a noxious substance, which can be toxic to other frogs, something you may want to consider. I'm not trying to lecture, you can obviously do whatever you want, just trying to help. Also, whites and white-lips have different humidity requirements (white-lips need more). If the whites and the white-lipped are adults, then that size tank is already over-stocked. I have a bunch of the 12x12x18 zoomeds and I keep large treefrogs singly in them, or small treefrogs in trios in them. Not only does this prevent stress, it also prevents predation. I have my redeye in with a Phyllomedusa tomopterna and a trio of Dendropsophus marmoratus. I find that mixing with conspecifics is way better than mixing with frogs from all over the world. Good luck

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Spathiphyllum is the way to go plant-wise. They will flourish, especially if you have a false -bottom they can tap into. They redeyes will spend a lot of time right out in the open on the spath because they feel comfortable. I would say that a pair need something like an 18x18x24 zoomed or so. Also, cubans secrete a noxious substance, which can be toxic to other frogs, something you may want to consider. I'm not trying to lecture, you can obviously do whatever you want, just trying to help. Also, whites and white-lips have different humidity requirements (white-lips need more). If the whites and the white-lipped are adults, then that size tank is already over-stocked. I have a bunch of the 12x12x18 zoomeds and I keep large treefrogs singly in them, or small treefrogs in trios in them. Not only does this prevent stress, it also prevents predation. I have my redeye in with a Phyllomedusa tomopterna and a trio of Dendropsophus marmoratus. I find that mixing with conspecifics is way better than mixing with frogs from all over the world. Good luck
Well, thanks for your input. So far, no problems, although that can change...the tank I have is 18x18x24. I have been thinking of giving away or selling everything but the red eye. My local pet store has a few red eyes, so maybe they can do a trade. If they do, I'll probably do a trio of red eyes in that 18x18x24.

Ever have any problems with crickets eating the plants?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

also, i have a few HUGE broms (8+ inches across) that i thought might fit in one of my other tanks...turns out they don't. well, they do, but i'd rather go with quantity than quality for that particular setup. do RETFs do well with broms? they're two neo. fireballs, different crosses, but both fireballs. Also have a vrisia splendens growing like crazy right now that would fill that tank in very nicely.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Ever have any problems with crickets eating the plants?
Mine have been known to nibble from time to time. I just keep a small dish with Romaine lettuce in it and they usually go after that. Also, don't put too many in at one time or they'll make a horrible mess of the tank, eating the foam off the background, pooping on everything, and get too big for the frogs to eat.

Also, here's a couple shots of my current RETF enclosure. I had originally designed it as a chondro tank, but I'm letting my frogs live in it while I let my other tank grow in.

And this picture is just a small update. I removed some of the pothos and planted another small brom and a species of Eucharis.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

nice, i like it. are those females? they're HUGE! how old are they?

·
Registered
39 Posts

nice, i like it. are those females? they're HUGE! how old are they?
Honestly, I have no idea what their sex is. I've had these 3 for several years. And yes, they're very, very fat. I'd love to try breeding them, but I have no idea where to begin.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Just wanted to post a couple updates.

Here's the frogs taking a nap:

Also added a couple Neo fireballs to the tank for color.

Wide shot:

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've used Broms in my tank and haven't had any problems. The frogs seem to stick to all the larger leaved plants though, mainly Pothos so the broms are more just for looks than anything.

This morning my make fell asleep on a brom for a change though. Sorry for the crappy phone pic.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a terrarium its been going for over 5yrs now with no problems
3 RETF
1 Cuban Frog
1 male Giant Leaf Tail Gecko
Its 5' tall 5' wide 3' deep

Sent from taptalk Sprint Evo

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
why did someone edit this thread and make its title a slash?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts