Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In about a month, I'm going to move to another state to do some service for my church! I'll be gone for a period of two years, so I decided to give my family a fighting chance at keeping my plants alive. With their permission, I turned a cabinet into a 60 gallon plant-only terrarium!
Also I made a video that includes the construction process, the materials used, and a complete plant list:

Before:
Property Television Mirror Wood Living room

After:
Vertebrate Plant Human Dog Mammal

Plant Wood Trunk Terrestrial plant Grass

Terrestrial plant Plant Flowering plant Leaf vegetable Flower
Plant Botany Leaf Terrestrial plant Flower
Plant Leaf Botany Terrestrial plant Organism
Flower Plant Leaf Petal Terrestrial plant
Plant Houseplant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Grass

Also I gave the tanks names to make referring to them easier:
Plant Property Green Interior design Wood

Alpha:
  • 65 gallons - 30x14x36
  • waterproofed with flex seal
  • XPS foam drylok background
  • fake driftwood I got on sale

Bravo:
  • Exo terra 12x12x18
  • XPS foam drylok background (on it's way out)
  • no hardscape to speak of

Charlie:
  • Zoo med 8.5x9x12
  • no hardscape either

My questions for you guys are:
1. How are the aesthetics?
  • What can I do to use the space better? There's a massive dark patch in the bottom center of Alpha caused by the driftwood. It feels like wasted space.
  • Do you have any suggestions for Bravo and Charlie's designs?
  • Is there anything in your opinion that will make them look more natural? I know that a more limited plant selection would help, but I'm kinda trying to fit every plant I can in here.

2. Do you estimate that it'll hold up for the next two years?
  • Do you see any ticking time bombs that are sure to fail at some point?
  • Is a tiny ecosystem like this bound to fail without constant attention?
  • I may have made terrible mistakes in my isopod choices (agabiformus lentus, porcellio scaber "dalmatian", cubaris murina). What should I do about it?

3. What can I do to make it easier to maintain for my family?
  • Are there any plants that should be removed? Some of the plants cough pothos, tradescantia, and english ivy cough have a reputation for taking over.
  • Will the misting settings need to be changed as the plants grow in? Bravo and Charlie seem to be getting too much water, but Alpha is sitting at around ambient humidity (50%) and the bromeliads seem pretty dry, so I don't know if I can reduce the amount of water.

4. Any suggestions for what to do with the plants that couldn't fit?
  • Should I bite the bullet and sell my collection before I leave?
  • Would I be putting a weird social pressure on my family if I asked whether they wanted to take care of the plants or sell them?
  • Should I make them sign a blood oath to protect them no matter the cost? (joke)
  • Am I being paranoid and I should just talk to my family about it like a functional adult?

Registered
Very pretty, but I would be concerned about the grow out - 2 years from now, I'm picturing a wall of tangled greenery pushing at all 4 sides. Do you have someone in your family who could be bribed? Or convinced that video calls where you walk them through plant maintenance are a form of family bonding? 馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very pretty, but I would be concerned about the grow out - 2 years from now, I'm picturing a wall of tangled greenery pushing at all 4 sides. Do you have someone in your family who could be bribed? Or convinced that video calls where you walk them through plant maintenance are a form of family bonding? 馃槀
Haha! Yeah, maintenance is definitely going to be a must! Luckily, pruning is pretty intuitive. I just showed my family which plants need to be cut where. I told them that once the pothos and tetrasperma hit the top, they could cut them off near the bottom, so they鈥檒l grow back bushier. I diced up all the trimmings and put them back in, but I told my family to just throw them away.

Purple Recipe Magenta Metal Rectangle

Here's 2 months of cuttings from my noid tradescantia (possibly 'mme lequesne')

Plant Flower Terrestrial plant Flowerpot Petal

The problem I'm currently running into is that the Charlie tank is very overgrown. The peperomia and pothos have exploded in growth. They've grown more in the past few weeks than they had in the previous six months. I'm gonna have to take them out, but I don't know where to put them. If the tank looks bare afterwards, then I'll check out PersephonesChild's post on plants with tiny leaves.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts