Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I caved and got some of the frogs from the 5th shipment. Each frog is housed in its own shoebox with leaf litter. No calling... yet :wink:

Enjoy.

Here are the four from Isla Bastimentos. Notice the variations between the frogs.

Thes two are 'Rio Chirique' (I hope that is the most current info!)

#2. Notice the toe missing on the left foot. :x

Thanks,
Richard

·
Registered
122 Posts
Dave,

By "5th shipment" he means that these frogs that he has pictured were part of the 5th shipment of the farm raised pumilio to come into the country from Panama. And yes, those definitely are beautiful frogs!

Lance and Jen

G

·
Thanks for the info. If they can be counted, then can I assume that shipments from Panama are rare? I thought most of the frogs being sold were wild caught from Central America. Is this not correct?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
The majority of frogs being sold today are captive bred by hobbyists and several large scale breeders with sporadic shipments of "farm raised" frogs from frog farmers in Panama, rmelancon posted pictures of this frog farm awhile back. At some time or another the frogs in the hobby today were imported and captive breeding established them with hobbyists. The areas the frogs are native are diminishing and they frogs are protected under CITES, it is a long complex process to export frogs, and the only reason the "farm raised" frogs are allowed to be exported is they are "captive bred" in a greenhouse setting. It is rare to have an exportation of darts without the exporters being backed by a credited insitution, and then the frogs are used for research, the exportation of pumilio for study at the University of Michigan comes to mind.

G

·
Frog farmers in Panama, that's cool! Better that then wild caught. We'd better keep breeding them if their natural habitat is being destroyed. :cry:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts