Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I scored a Marineland 56 column and stand on Craigslist for $150 so I'm starting a new build (I know I haven't finished the last one). I liked the depth of the tank and I'm not a fan of long, skinny tanks. This tank has the same footprint as a standard 29 gallon but twice as tall. Since it is a tall tank, I plan on housing a small group of imitators when it is complete. The original owner used it as a reef tank and the back glass is already painted black. I drilled two 1/2" holes for intake and outtake and I'm just waiting on my order of bulkheads to come so I can finish the false bottom.

I plan on have a prominent water feature with about 5" of water but have 2" of aquatic substrate to grow a few root feeding aquatics. I also want to have a waterfall emptying into water feature but I havent made up my mind on a rock waterfall or a wood dripwall, any suggestions?"

Attachments

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so I have quite a few pc fans lying around for previous system builds so i decided to clean a couple of them up. I chose some SilverStone 92mm fans. They are designed to fit the same mounting holes as an 80mm and they are super quiet and move a good amount of air. I rigged up some egg crate and fiberglass window screen and came up with this...

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Subscribed!!

I'm actually in the middle of a build with the exact same size tank. I just wish the bottom glass was not tempered. I had to drill the back glass but my design will work fine other than having bulky bulkheads sticking out the back rather than hidden in the stand underneath.

Can't wait to see more progress:)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Subscribed!!

I'm actually in the middle of a build with the exact same size tank. I just wish the bottom glass was not tempered. I had to drill the back glass but my design will work fine other than having bulky bulkheads sticking out the back rather than hidden in the stand underneath.

Can't wait to see more progress:)
I know exactly what you mean. I wish I could have drilled the bottom as well. I will hide the bulkheads under the false bottom. I drilled them about a 1/2" to high but I think it will be ok.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I installed a "barbed" elbow to the bulkhead inside the tank so when the water gets to the top of the elbow, it works as an overflow. If the water is too deep for my taste then all I have to do is rotate the elbow to make the opening lower or just add a short piece of tubing if I want the water to be deeper.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's whats up. I ordered a canister filter with an uv sterilizer. Its going to be over kill for the amount of water actually in the tank, but for the amount i paid for it, I had to get it.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today I got my order in from Amazon.
A set of 1/2" bulkheads, a 30" Coralife Aqueon HO T5 and a AquaTop CF-400UV Canister Filter with UV9W Sterilizer. The filter is freakishly huge and rated a 370 gallons per hour.The DVD is there just to show the size.

As for the build I got the sides siliconed, bulkheads installed and drip manifold installed. I have to wait until this weekend to get some hard scraping done because my driftwood order was not sent out when it was supposed to and I had to call customer service to get the problemcorrectef. Here are the pics...

·
Registered
448 Posts
You know I wish there were more people like you in this hobby. People who actually take filtration in their viv seriously and get what is needed. Its like pulling teeth with clients to get them to commit to a canister filter, even with builds as big as this.

The UV will make your tank sparkle! Should look top notch.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know I wish there were more people like you in this hobby. People who actually take filtration in their viv seriously and get what is needed. Its like pulling teeth with clients to get them to commit to a canister filter, even with builds as big as this.

The UV will make your tank sparkle! Should look top notch.
Thanks. I started out keeping planted aquariums and you have to take water quality very serious or else you'll have a bunch of dead plants and fish or pea soup. I understand that many people in this hobby do not want water features because they feel it's a hassle, but I prefer water features because it adds an extra dimension to the enclosure.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Subscribed too! I'm also in the process to building a 40g column tank (18*18*36) at the mo.

Also coming from the aquarium hobby, I've used external filters in some of my frog tanks before, they work a treat in keeping the water sweet; though in the one I'm building now i think I'll keep it internal but with the pump accesible from the top, as I wont have much space around the tank. If I had the space around the tank, would defo invest in an external filter!

Looking forwards to see what other choices you make!

Cheers for sharing!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Subscribed too! I'm also in the process to building a 40g column tank (18*18*36) at the mo.

Also coming from the aquarium hobby, I've used external filters in some of my frog tanks before, they work a treat in keeping the water sweet; though in the one I'm building now i think I'll keep it internal but with the pump accesible from the top, as I wont have much space around the tank. If I had the space around the tank, would defo invest in an external filter!

Looking forwards to see what other choices you make!

Cheers for sharing!
Thanks for that Salsa. I love column tanks. Here's a quick update before work. I had to re-work my false bottoms a bit but here's the larger one installed

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got my driftwood today. 12 pieces all 12" or more for $30 including shipping.

I believe that they also sent me another 6 pieces by accident because they said they had lost my order.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a lil update:
I decided to replace the Gs with pond spray foam because I know I'm going to be lazy when it's time to cover it with wood glue and peat. Most of the background is done but I ran out foam and I have to add the air lines. I'm going to try to use an air pump for air circulation. I also forgot to mention that the background will be a drip wall.

The white spots are foam cups. I didn't feel like buying plastic planters so I'm trying these out.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Looking cool, can't wait to see it finished. And I know you said you were planning on putting imi's in there, but some E. anthonyi would love it as well...and I just happen to have plenty at the moment;)
Anyway, keep the updates coming...if you need any plants let me know, I have plenty of extras.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Looking cool, can't wait to see it finished. And I know you said you were planning on putting imi's in there, but some E. anthonyi would love it as well...and I just happen to have plenty at the moment;)
Anyway, keep the updates coming...if you need any plants let me know, I have plenty of extras.
Aww man and you are not that far from either I stay in Snellvlle. I will most definitely be in contact with you. I want to have this thing up and running by the end of the month

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Decided to test out the lights today. It doesn't seem bright enough so I'm debating on getting an Led fixture too. Also carved the background up and I really like the look of it. Has anyone used the black foam uncovered? Does plants grow on it well?

I'm in the process of looking for a rental home so I probably won't be doing anything major to it until I move. My wife also informed me that I have to do a larger build once we move so of course I was grinning ear to ear. I'm thinking about getting a larger column tank and doing a peninsula, and I still have to finish the rockwall Zoomed.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I dont think I would leave the background uncovered....it just wouldnt look right...

So cool that you get to go bigger on your next build! Must be getting really excited!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I dont think I would leave the background uncovered....it just wouldnt look right...

So cool that you get to go bigger on your next build! Must be getting really excited!
Yea you are right it wouldn't look right unless it's a mud slide :rolleyes: I actually thinks my wife wants it to be a fish tank, she has been talking about black mollies for a couple of years now.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
It's coming together nicely man! Yeah, leaving it uncovered looks kinda weird. I know some people say it looks like stone or something, don't really agree with that. I think the best looking covering is like 75% peat with 25% coco, looks way better than straight coco. I've got plenty of milled peat if you need some...free. And let me know about plants, I can get some stuff rooted for you.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts