Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I have been working on this corner viv in the past year almost and now it's finally planted despite all the troubles i encountered along the way (including the front bottom glass cracked :mad: ).
I made my own LED DIY lighting, with Cree xm-l's and some red and blue diodes. It is a combination of 6500k, 3500k, 3 reds and 1 blue. They turn on and off at different times through the day to create a high light midday and low evening lighting. I'm actually in the progress of changing to dimmable GU10 spots but that's a whole other story ;)
Now the pictures:

FTS:

Bottom part (sorry for the colors, i forgot to turn off the plant lighting)

Top part (colors again... i know)

The branch in the middle. Bought as Pyrrosia Serpens but i think it's too small?? Maybe it will grow bigger - already spreading along the branch :)

The orchid branch. :)

The Pleurothallis janetiae to the right has just bloomed a month ago. Many flowers :)

Top left corner.

Branch on the ground with some good moss growth and some unknown orchids i bought in Singapore last year.

Big center orchid. Just a regular one from a supermarket but it is blooming regularly which is nice. :D

I think the general design is pretty nice but i just think that there's missing something. I really cant figure out what it is. I have an idea that it's the amount of plants and the way they are organized but i don't know really. I have considered some homemade vines to go across in the middle but that might get too crowded and shady further down.

Do you guys have any ideas for some changes or additional things i could add? I'm am quite lost right now.

Oh, and by the way there are no animals in the viv. I think it is too sparsely planted for dart frogs right now, which is a shame.

Best regards
Rasmus H-P

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think that you have a good start, but that the tank needs a focal point. perhaps a nice piece of driftwood that can breakup the monotonous space, add texture to the environment and provide a good mounting place for some cool plants.

That would be my recommendation. good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your advice! A bigger focal point is a great idea, it might help a lot. :)
It will be difficult getting more driftwood in the tank though, it is kind of limited space for big pieces. But i will think about how it might be possible to add a bigger focalpoint.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried twisting some rope and tested the look in the viv. I think it is pretty good actually! Some kind of focal point when it can't be driftwood ;) Of course i would cover it with silicone and some kind of substrate but you get the idea.
It is a good place to mount some plants as well i think.

What do you think?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you four your opinions! :) I think i will cover the rope tomorrow if i can find black silicone.

How do you suggest i mount the vines in each end? I was thinking expanding foam on top of the background (which is made out of expanding foam covered with Titebond III and coco) but i don't know if it will work... I guess it is the only way :confused:

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
The ropes may eventually rot unless covered with something...but I love the effect...anything that develops the back to front feeling will give that depth you are looking for...but I think it looks terrific...what kind of frogs do you think you would like to have...obviously the terrestrial ones wouldn't be the best choice, but there are so many choices...hard to decide.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm glad that i gave you an idea :)
However I think that the naked rope look better on the pictures than in real life. It looks really weird when everything else is natural and you have a nylon rope in the middle.
Maybe if you make a vivarium with alot of manmade stuff like some fake ruins, broken ropes and some stones it will look nice.
Let me know if you make something nice with uncovered ropes! I think it could look nice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The finished result with the homemade lianas / vines installed. Now i just need to buy a few more plants. Some orchids, climbing vines and small ferns and this vivarium will be pretty awesome i think.

HDR shot with 3 exposures, merged in Photoshop cs6.

Hope you guys like it, and thank you all for your inputs! :)

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
The tank is really looking great! I think the vines really added something to the tank that was missing before, great call putting those in there.

Thanks for the info on the photo. I'm a pretty bad photographer, so that information is always helpful to me and others I'm sure.

John

Reactions: Drewbacca

·
Registered
114 Posts
I wouldn't use nylon rope, I would find a natural too alternative like hemp or heavy duty twine something biodegradable and the train different small plants and mosses to cover the ropes giving them a "forgotten in the jungle" kind of feel. But now I has more ideas for my terribilis build xD kind of playing with a ship wreck on a jungle shore kind of idea......using some untreated wood, of course not pine. I'd have to find something that wouldn't be harmful to the frogs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you John! I really think the lianas were the final touch to the hardscape. Now i just need some good moss growing on them, and a couple orchids on the middle liana.Then a climbing vine on the one to the left together with some ferns as well.

It sounds like a great idea! I actually used one hemp rope on the first test with lianas as you can see on the first picture a couple of posts up - it's the brown one to the left going down to the floor. It looked pretty good. I hope you succeed making a nice viv with some ropes and stuff. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bought some new plants a week ago, here is the result:

The new plants are listed here:

Cattleya aclandiae x coccinea

Dendrobium tetragonum var. giganteum

Psygmorchis pusilla

Ascocentrum ampullaceum deep orange

Cirrhopetalum (Bulbophyllum) miniatum

Neoregelia liliputtiana "tiger"

Pyrrosia nummularifolia

Peperomia rotundinfolia "mini jungle morph"

Tillandsia caulescens

Peperomia numularifolia

Moss (sorry for the german):
Lappenmoos lebend
Sphagnummoos lebend

What do you guys think of the new setup? Let me know if i should change anything :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts