Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been posting a few updates here and there on the other forum thought I would allow you to peruse the build for my 50 gallon.

The original nasty, grimy, dirty tank purchased for $30

Lots and lots of foam work here...in hindsight, there are plenty of ways to get around this and save money and headaches in the process...live and learn:

My failed first attempt at getting the foam to "stack" itself. It needs some barriers to hold it in and keep it from spreading.

Take 2

My pump housing

Tier 2

The right side will be the two tier waterfall, the left will be a "boggish" area with utricularia growing as a groundcover. The area i want to make look like rock has been carved out and Durham's water putty applied for texture. Next step is to paint it. There is a hole in the left wall that the water heater will go in. Because I want to make it a bog, should i leave the hole into the area where dirt will be? The water level will keep the soil quite wet...

The hole in the middle is where the pump is being housed (will put a screen over it soon.

Top of the waterfall and some "caves" made from the tops of the spray foam

The painted rock work. I used drylock and cement coloring

Some silicone and ecoearth substrate on the background. Sorry for crappy pics on these ones...

closeup of the rockwork on the waterfall

And now time for the preliminary planting!

Utricularia as a ground cover!

Apologize for the cloudy water, still running the pump and trying to clear it up. harder without a filter

·
Registered
135 Posts
Nice Landscape. It will look nice when it grows out with plants.

But, I see a problem with the pump. It is glue and set. you don't have a way to change the pump if it fries or no longer work. Are you going to leave the dead pump or are you going to take it apart?

Joe

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice Landscape. It will look nice when it grows out with plants.

But, I see a problem with the pump. It is glue and set. you don't have a way to change the pump if it fries or no longer work. Are you going to leave the dead pump or are you going to take it apart?

Joe
There is some difficulty with that and a little better planning on my part would help that. if it dies I will have to leave it in there, however there is access to the actual pump (just not the cord that runs up the back). If it does die though, there is enough space in the pump "compartment" to place another one in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts