Dendroboard banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just thought I'd share what I've got so far on my 5.5 gallon vert. All i've got to do now is install the screen and the door. Most of the features in the tank came from the vert kit from peace of the tropics. It's going to house 2 imitators. You can probably still see the toothpicks holding the broms in place. Enjoy

·
Registered
191 Posts
looks nice, perfect size for a dorm room or small apartment :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
exclusivehawk said:
vert kit from peace of the tropics.
Wow, that is a really cool thing to do to a tank. May I ask if Peace of the Tropics sells with this kit explicit instructions that somebody completely non-handy like moi could build. I really like that vivarium.

Thanks and have a great day.

Amanda

G

·
You don't really need instructions, Just get your glass/plexiglass/acrylic cut to the dimensions you want and silicone on the hardware.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll take the toothipicks out either a) when they rot and replace them or b) when the broms attach on their own. The background is made out of strofoam. Didn't want to do great stuff. I bought some styrofoam at walmart, cut it to size, painted on the black silicone on all sides and coated the front with cocoa-fiber. I also cut out little ledges and glued them on there as well. I liked it- no where near as messy as Great Stuff. I have an unopened can and I want to keep it that way.
mydumname said:
Will you remove the toothpicks and when? What do you do to hold the broms up with them? How long does it take the broms to stay on their own?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finished

Well, it's finished. I've already started trimming off the silicone around the hinge so it doesn't look so messy. Took this pic prior to that. It sure was fun doing this!

·
Registered
68 Posts
exclusivehawk said:
The background is made out of strofoam. Didn't want to do great stuff. I bought some styrofoam at walmart, cut it to size, painted on the black silicone on all sides and coated the front with cocoa-fiber. I also cut out little ledges and glued them on there as well. I liked it- no where near as messy as Great Stuff. I have an unopened can and I want to keep it that way.
That is an awesome idea for a background. It doesn't harm the frogs at all though, does it? Did you texture (i.e. rough it up) before you siliconed it or did you put it in as a sheet? How are the ledges holding up? Also, I guess this is also a question involving great stuff, but if the roots take hold in this stuff, how do they get enough moisture?

Amanda

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Styrofoam is non-toxic so it should be completely harmless. Plus it's covered by the coco fiber and silcone so there's no contact. Didn't rough it up at all just slapped on the silicone and the fiber and bam. the ledges are holding up with the same silicone once again. This silicone goes a long way. The broms are epiphytes so they're roots don't normally get alot of moisture. My broms thrive if I keep the axils full of water, and the roots get enough moisture with the misting.

G

·
turned out nice

Hey Kasey. The tank looks nice. You wouldn't know it was a small tank by just looking at the pic, except you took that picture comparing it to your head. LOL!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts