Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is the custom background I made for my very first customer. It uses very similar build methods to my peninsula tank. Built in air duct, Malaysian driftwood, pvc piping, ropes, silicone hinged/beaded glass top, silicone/peatmoss finish, fluval stratum aquarium substrate, and a high draining orchid substrate for the land area. He took the tank home today and plans on planting it himself due to his background in the bonsai hobby. Hopefully he will add pictures to the thread once completed.

Here are some pictures. There is also a video on my youtube channel you want more info, and some "umms" and "ahhs" from me :D Click the link in my signature to find it.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Very nice indeed! Lots of places to mount orchids in there. Needs some really oddball stuff to set it off in my opinion. It needs a few Racinaea crispa

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fat chance of us ever finding those beauties up north. Its hard enough getting a few fireball hybrids, no joke. We can always dream of a problem free express shipment of plants sometime from the US though :D

·
Registered
391 Posts
Very nice tank. Cant wait to see it planted

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
701 Posts
Sexy :) (10 characters)

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
great job as always :)
It's so clean, smooth, and sexy ;)
I would really love you know how you made the silicone hinge :D

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys.

Its actually just regular malaysian driftwood that you can find almost anywhere. I just made sure every piece was thin and matched eachother relatively well.

And yes I tried to make it user friendly. The only thing that may be difficult for the owner is the fact that he isnt a tall guy like myself. The reach to the bottom could be a pain. I didnt pick the tank out though, so the possible annoyance is on him :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
Great tank, you have me rethinking my current build base on a couple of your concepts like the circulation, external fogger and silicone bead on the glass, thanks for the inspiration.

Len

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Grimm, I see that there is an area for water. How do you have the plumbing set up for it? I didn't see any tubing coming up where the fans are. Thanks a ton and Damn it looks awesome!

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
That is really nice.

Is that the Marineland 47 Column can you get those up there? I am starting a project in a 37 Column, which I think has the same footprint. They both have a real nice shape.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Grimm, I see that there is an area for water. How do you have the plumbing set up for it? I didn't see any tubing coming up where the fans are. Thanks a ton and Damn it looks awesome!
Thanks. No plumbing at all. It is just going to be a small pond for a tad deposite site. The tank is completely tempered, so drilling was not an option, and he didnt want an ugly syphon tube coming out the top.

That is really nice.

Is that the Marineland 47 Column can you get those up there? I am starting a project in a 37 Column, which I think has the same footprint. They both have a real nice shape.
Im not to sure what brand it was. Every piece was tempered though. I quite like the shape also. Gives a nice 270 degree verticle display tank. Lots of climbing area, and hidding areas under the roots. The next tank I'll be working on is a 24x24x30 tank, giving even more depth/width to work with. Should be a fun and original background design.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I need to do this background method on my next viv because Im starting to not like clay one side of the tank gets to moist and the other to dry even though there is even misting. It looks good to great work

1 - 20 of 47 Posts