Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have this tank setup right now as a fish tank as you can see

Now im changing the direction of the tank and going frogs....

This is going to be a slow journal to start until my tax money comes then its balls to the walls...kinda

The plan is too have thumbnails in this tank because of the height of the tank....im making a custom all glass lid for this so it will be very tight to minimize fly escape and so these little guys can't squeeze their way out...

WARNING: OPTIONS MIGHT VARY FROM STORE TO STORE

I was at walmart tonight and I was looking around at the plants...just to see if there was anything worth picking up now and HOLY COW! some of these were marked down to $1!!!!!!! OR $5!!!!!! STEAL! I did look at lighting and water needs and came up with these...ill post names later after I go back through the tags

Well this is the start...ill be adding on how I will be setting the tank up after I do a bit more reading...got a few more journals and topics to read....never ends!

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
plants you have pictured (that i can see):
some will work others wont. most will be super annoying and would be more visually appealing in your windowsill than your tank.

pellonia pulchra
pilea involucrata norfolk
a bromeliad (which surprisingly appears to be a neoregelia)
gynura aurantiaca
alocasia polly
nephrolepis (most likely an exaltata variant)
scindapsus pictus

james

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
i hate to say it, but i wouldnt use any of them (except possibly the brom) ive tried some/ most, and i dont like the results.

i suggest to look for plants from people here. however this can be difficult. many people here will sell plants that will live in your tank, but arent great choices. most will grow too fast, or will become leggy. unfortunately it really just takes some experimenting, or the assistance of someone who already has. you'll probably kill as much or more than you keep alive, and some of those will just not work how you expect. its just part of the process.

james

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay you named them all but these two. One is
Dizygotheca elegantissima-Aralia "Olympia"

Second no name

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So probably not a good plant for the tank....

okay I'm thinking of adding a exo terra mini fogger to this tank...and a exo terra monsoon misting system....with a false bottom....would the fogger work and how should I get the fog into the tank?

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
your best bet is DIY fogging (although its really not necessary) there are a ton of threads on converting a cool mist humidifier to work with your tank.

since this is your only tank, hand misting is fine (99cent misting bottle from the garden center) or a poison type sprayer works great. (i use one and have 30+ tanks) they cost <$20.

then use the $ you would have spent for the misting system and drill bit to drain the tank, and put it towards some good plants!!

james

·
Registered
232 Posts
You can use a lot of the aquatic plants that are already in your tank. Many of them will simply grow new emersed grown leaves if you keep your tank humidity high. I thought my aquatic plants will lose their submersed grown leaves when I moved them to my vivarium, but they have not. They are still looking great.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I user to grow some of my stem plants out if water....its rather interesting..

Okay well ill skip the fogger....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.