Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a 45 gallon cage to house in my office. I was wondering how many thumbnails I could put in there (I'm thinking of getting imitators)? Is it too big for a thumbnail species? Are there any bigger frogs that would utilize the 45 gallon better (ones that won't stay on the bottow of the cage and waste the height)? How much of a threat is there of other females eating eggs in a cage that size? Any help would be great!

G

·
0 Posts
Do you have any experience with dendros? If not, I would definitely stay away from thumbs for right now....especially with a 45 gallon. A tank that size would be ideal for a pair or trio of other showy specimens such as azureus and tincs. They are very bold and allow themselves to be viewed nearly all day.

On the other hand, if you do have adequate experience under your belt, then that 45 gallon would be ok for a group of vents or imitators. Be prepared to wait as they are high in demand and most breeders have long waiting lists that can take about 5-6 months.

-Bill J.

G

·
0 Posts
to me a group is any more than 3..(less would be pairs and trios). The 45 gallon you are looking into should be able to house 6-8 thumbs comfortably.

-Bill J.

G

·
0 Posts
Thumbs are great don't get me wrong, but you might want to think about something bigger for a tank that size. If you've got a heavily planted 45 gallon its possible you'll rarely see your thumbs. If you got with a larger frog you may get a little more entertainment. Just something to think about, but good luck with whatever you decide. Keep us posted on how its going.

G

·
0 Posts
Forgot one thing, you could look into frogs like leucs, auratus, or galacts which can be kept in groups in a tank that size. They would really use the space well staying mostly on the ground, but doing some climbing. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts