Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get one from Aaron of aaafrogs but he never emailed me back about it. So I was thinking, I'll just make my own. Any thoughts on how to do one this big? I've done 10g's but nothing of this scale.
If you've done this, could you show me pics or a link to a thread I may have missed in my search. Or if you know of where I can order one, any help is still help!

Thanks

·
Registered
759 Posts
Jungle box has them. Im making my from scratch, euro style as well.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I betcha you can do it. Do you have a glass store nearby? Do you know what you want it to look like? If it's yes to both, all you need are the supplies.

Here's a YouTube how-to. I'm thinking I might do the same thing with my 40g breeder.

good luck!

kristi

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jungle box has them. Im making my from scratch, euro style as well.
I had emailed them. He said he can make one for me but with some sort of sliding doors. I asked him how that would work and if he could send me a picture. I never received a reply.

Kristi, I have everything but the glass for it. Screen, and hinge material. I'm just a little uncomfortable with a drop down door that big, ya know. I have to get silicon and some stuff for the initial build after work in the morning, I'll have a look-see at the E-tracks they have. I might just try to go that route. I need it clean looking bc it will have a sister tank next to it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I agree with you on the drop-down door. The video shows a way to make it with a single side door, although I might look into the Exo-Terra style dual doors.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
i spent maybe $40 on glass and $10 on living hinge and then finally $5 on magnets....
have the glass shop cut a solid sheet the size of opening on the 40 less 1/8" in width (wiggle room) and1/8"+ height of hinge less on height. i know that sounds complicated, but it really isnt.
for more detailed pics, see here
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/me...hank-you-1gallon-sale-4x40b-2x20ls-2x55s.html

and i did all 4 of the 40s

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
those look really nice!

im probably going to go that route, if i cannot get E track locally. im going to try my hand at the sliding doors. to me it seems easier and a little more handy for what i need. if all goes well with this either way i do it i will be doing a sister tank that will share a light and both 40B's will home pumilio. my pair of cristobals in one, and either cayo de agua or rfb basti's. i'd be a little more comfortable with the sliding doors just bc the opening would only be half vulnerable. and indeed thank you $1/gal sale! i got a bunch of 29's and 2, 40B

·
Registered
508 Posts
Oh, wow - those tanks are AWESOME! I checked out your build thread and I'm very impressed. I'm thinking that I'll have to use some of your ideas.

Hmmm, something tells me that you're not married..... ;)

k

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
she doesnt mind one bit and is in the middle of building her own Phyllobates from a 24X24X36 exo that goes on the night stand in the bedroom. all that area was just wasted space and this just adds great conversation and atmosphere when people come over

OH! Grrit, skip the cristolbal and go with the basti trio and the cayo trio in those 40s ;)

also please explain why sliding is liked by so many? i just couldnt figure out how to fly proof it? also was hard to see through the seam where they meet in the middle :(

·
Registered
508 Posts
That is just so cool that you both enjoy pdfs. There just aren't that many spouses who don't mind fruitfly fruitcups every now n then.

Now, if I can just convince the hubby that eating out in the garage is the new 'in' thing, I bet I could scrounge up enuf room for a few more tanks. I'm liking verticals more n more, these days. They go together so much quicker and I can put 3 tanks in the place of just one.

Grrrit, are you gonna do a build thread on your 40 breeder? I'll be watching, if so ~

k

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, wow - those tanks are AWESOME! I checked out your build thread and I'm very impressed. I'm thinking that I'll have to use some of your ideas.

Hmmm, something tells me that you're not married..... ;)

k
what gives you this idea?

oh how i would love to utilize all the empty tables and blank wall space! i could definately deal with eating in the garage, thats were my tools are! jk lol but seriously i would like to have at least one tank per room.

i already have the cristo's, and they are my first pum's.
and i just like the possibilites with the slides. you can take both doors out if you need to get elbow deep and if you just want to shake flies in your only half as exposed as the flip down door.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Grrrit, are you gonna do a build thread on your 40 breeder? I'll be watching, if so ~

k

you will find it on amphibiannetwork com in about a week hopefully. im going to enter it in the construction journal build off. all i need are the broms now. and this weekend i'm planning on have the structural build done and leaving planting for through out the week.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thats a pretty neat walk-through. ive been thinking of way to do something similar with a screen door for geckos. solved my riddle. i just couldnt see clearly how it locked or rather latched shut. safety first! good find though, thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts