Did a little more planting today, adding three of what I am pretty sure are liverworts that I obtained locally (anybody recognize them), as well as another fern and a second "tree."
With the addition of the trees, it is pretty obvious that the tank really isn't tall enough, which is causing an issue with the light, so I will have to either hang the light or extend the tank. I have a third tree that I was considering placing, but not sure about that now. Three would be better for ascetic appeal, but that third one might be too much. I have three more fern to place, but holding off until I'm sure of where I want them and waiting for the rest of the plants to come in, don't want to get too carried away at this point.
I'm really pleased with the cave area, as I think it looks pretty natural. I'm sure the addition of some mosses or small liverworts and some of the Dwarf horsetail will help as well.
They can't reach the top anywhere, or climb the glass, and I've never seen them climbing trees, so not super concerned, but yes I will have to come up with something to make sure they aren't climbing out.
The first of the orders, the Dwarf horsetail (Equisetum scirpoides) arrived today.
The hardest part was getting it out of the container LOL, and breaking it up into suitable pieces;
Then it was time to determine placement. I placed some in both the dry terrestrial areas and the soggy bog border, so we will see which area supports better growth.
Getting harder to see that cave mouth.
A little along the riverbank in the shade of the tree.
And a bit more along the riverbank, not in the shade;
Now if I can just get that other order in and start filling in the bare spots with some emergent moss or liverwort growth. Also looking forward to the sedge that is coming in, that should look pretty cool along the bank and growing out of the water.
I saved enough of the Dwarf horsetail to pot and try and grow out in the greenhouse as well.
Got the second of the plant orders. This came from hydrophyte here on the boards, as a group of native plants he has had luck growing in temperate terrariums, so we will see how they do in this paludarium. I'm still messing a bit with the exact placement.
There were several of these that I was really looking forward to, and one of those was the sedge (Dichromena sp.) , not sure of the exact species, but if it takes off it should be a very welcome addition to the tank. I had enough of it that I did a little bit up in the boggy part . . .
and a bit in the water itself.
The salamanders of course had to get in and check it out, they seem to be enjoying it.
Got a couple clippings each of swamp dewberry (Rubus hispidus),
and threeleaf goldthread (Coptis trifolia). The Coptis sp. has bright yellow rhizomes that should add a little bit of nice color. You can see it here, but not real well.
To the right of the goldthread in this one, you can see a cutting of partridgeberry (Mitchella repens).
I also got a couple downy rattlesnake plantain (Goodyera pubescens), which is a terrestrial orchid. They are not native to this area, but do occur within the salamanders geographical range, and who can resist an orchid?
I also got a couple of different ferns and several types of moss.
The rock cap fern (Polypodium virginianum) . . .
and the American walking fern (Asplenium rhizophyllum).
Several types of mosses as well, wishing I would have had bigger portions of a few of these, but its a start. In the picture above, to the right of the walking fern, you can see my favorite peaking out under the branch, which is the haircap moss (polytrichum sp). Here's another shot of it as well . . .
I also got a nice sized portion of rough-stalked feather-moss (Brachythecium rutabulum) which you can see here through the horsetail . . .
and also here . . .
and some log moss (Thuidium sp.) which I'm hoping will grow up onto my old log.
And a final shot of the evolving landscape.
I've noticed some yellowing in the horsetail, which is hopefully just a transitional issue .