Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's my start to a 40 gallon viv for a customer. This tank will house 4 dendrobates auratus 'highland bronze' it will have a mistking misting system and a small waterfall and pond. The light is a Fluval 6500k led light, not sure the exact name, but it lights the tank pretty well so hopefully the plants will like it. The customer already had the light for a few months, so I said "Go for it and save some money!" I'm debating on silicone or titebond 3... Also, coco fiber or maybe even something more aesthetically pleasing like a mix of other background substrates. I don't want to use cork bark, only because it breaks down in moist environments. The tank will be at 80+ humidity. There is still a possibility of internal air circulation if the customer decides.

Here's the wood I chose for the setup. I wanted to create something heavily wooded, so these pieces were going to be PERFECT!

don't mind me looking like a mess -.-

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The wood had to be cut, so in the meantime, I started doing some sloppy silicone job on the background. (I hate silicone so much it hurts) I put the false bottom in and built the pump and air circulation pocket. (if there is air circulation I already have the vents ready)

·
Registered
226 Posts
This looks great and is going to look even better planted, as it holds a lot of potential! It's hard to see the depth in these photos, but it looks like there are some ample nooks to plant a few plants at the bases of the wood. A few bromeliads pinned on the upper, right side foam area would look fantastic!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sprayed more foam after the first coat cured, then started to carve.

This is where the tank stands as of now. Hopefully soon the customer will let me know what his next plan is. It's been a 'pay as you go' kind of build because the customer is also a close friend of mine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Those are some really awesome pieces of wood you scored! I really dig how much depth you get out of them! Looking really good so far, I'm excited to see it finished.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This looks great and is going to look even better planted, as it holds a lot of potential! It's hard to see the depth in these photos, but it looks like there are some ample nooks to plant a few plants at the bases of the wood. A few bromeliads pinned on the upper, right side foam area would look fantastic!
I am really surprised someone from Josh's frogs commented on my build! Thanks for taking the time to check out my work! I actually am planning on having a few over there, the tank has a lot of cracks and crevices for planting later on. I'll be ordering my substrates, plants, misting system, seeders, flies and frogs all from the site when the time comes :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those are some really awesome pieces of wood you scored! I really dig how much depth you get out of them! Looking really good so far, I'm excited to see it finished.
I spent three weeks scouring the internet and local shops for the exact pieces I had envisioned. I finally found them on Manzanita Burlworks - Aquarium Wood in the 'special pieces and stumps' section.

What about loose tree fern fibers and tite bond ?
I have been SERIOUSLY considering just this. But I'm still on the fence, I may even do some orchid bark. I need plants to easily climb and or root to the walls, but I've only made one other vivarium before and I used coco fiber and silicone. (didn't work as well as I wanted it to)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Today, I went to a friend's house and found out she has petrified wood... in case you don't know, that's wood turned to stone. These pieces are SO cool!
There are CRATES of the stuff just lying around, I figure these are going to be used for all my water features. I was told I could use them for any of my customers for a fraction of the usual cost! I am SOOOOOO happy right now!

These two pieces, I want to use for my own tank.

Also, I went to my very first reptile expo this weekend!
If anyone is interested, I'll post the pictures.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, it's been a few days, I'm guessing not many people are very interested in my build. I was hoping for a bit more feedback and maybe some suggestions on where to go from here.

This is only my second build, so, I'm still a newbie.

If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think you are making a masterpiece so far. The way you have the driftwood oriented really makes maximal use of the volume in that tank. I'm sure your customer will be ecstatic.

BTW Petrified wood isn't the actual wood turning to stone, it is individual grains of the wood getting slowly replaced with minerals. I can't remember the exact process but I used to go to the petrified forest in AZ fairly often on my way to other places when I lived out there.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think you are making a masterpiece so far. The way you have the driftwood oriented really makes maximal use of the volume in that tank. I'm sure your customer will be ecstatic.

BTW Petrified wood isn't the actual wood turning to stone, it is individual grains of the wood getting slowly replaced with minerals. I can't remember the exact process but I used to go to the petrified forest in AZ fairly often on my way to other places when I lived out there.

Wow, thank you so much!
serious confidence boost :)

As for the wood, I didn't know that! That's still just as cool!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
It's looking great! Loving the petrified wood. Following along

1 - 20 of 40 Posts