Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I recently got a 40 gallon breeder. My question is, can I put leucomelas in it even if its top-opening? what kind of lid should I get? all glass or all screen? maybe a mixture of both? Anything I should know about drainage? should I cut in a bulkhead?

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Will be fine for luecs though I prefer front opening tanks for a variety of reasons. You will need some ventilation, both for your frogs and for your plants, so design your lid appropriately

You will want well draining substrate with a false bottom.

Bulkheads are a luxury. I have them on most of my tanks now, but made do without them for quite a while. There are other methods of removing excess water in your false bottom that are effective.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will be fine for luecs though I prefer front opening tanks for a variety of reasons. You will need some ventilation, both for your frogs and for your plants, so design your lid appropriately

You will want well draining substrate with a false bottom.

Bulkheads are a luxury. I have them on most of my tanks now, but made do without them for quite a while. There are other methods of removing excess water in your false bottom that are effective.
I plan on having a water feature in the tank. I'll be making the false bottom out of egg crate and leca balls. Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to make a glass and screen lid?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hopefully you can make out what's going on in the pictures but this is how I set up my top opening tanks.

I drill holes in both sides close to the front glass, then use gromets and noseeum mesh for vents, this keeps the front glass from fogging up. While I'm at it I drill for a bulkhead. Then I use glass aquarium tops and modify the plastic strip that comes with them. I cut holes with a dremel and silicone noseeum mesh over the holes. You also need to silicone the plastic to the rim of the tank. One disadvantage is I have to do this on the back of the tank when it's more ideal to have the top vent towards the front. I agree that front opening tanks are better but top opening tanks work just fine too.

Hopefully this makes sense.
IMG_4707.JPG
IMG_4707.JPG IMG_4705.JPG
IMG_4707.JPG IMG_4705.JPG IMG_4706.JPG

·
Super Moderator
3,067 Posts
Leucs don't get any benefit from a water feature in the tank and it is more likely to harm them than be neutral, especially in a tank that opens at the top. I know most new folks really, really want to have that water feature in their dart tank and the guys on the YouTube channels say it's ok, but just remember that it is for you, not for the frogs. On this board, we tend to advocate for what's best for the animals. Even if a water feature was a good idea, it's even harder to implement in a tank that will have so little height left after you add drainage, substrate, and leaf litter layers.

Mark

·
Registered
41 Posts
IMO 40 a Breeder would make a great option for a vertical conversion. There are a few places online that sell the kits with everything you need but aquarium safe silicone - though most of them would need some modifications to keep fruit flies from escaping (See: Fly proofing a Euro sliding door viv).
There is also a FrogCube 40g horizontal conversion, lots of floor space and vastly better than using it open end up - though this one is a little pricey IMO.

You can also do the entire conversion yourself. Pretty inexpensive as you already have the tank, the most expensive part. There are various build threads if you use the search function, and useful info here: Popular and Helpful Parts & Constructions Threads

If you are determined to do a water feature you're really not working with the best tank (height restriction when horizontal, floorspace restriction when vertical). You might be able to make it work, but to be completely honest I'd just save yourself the trouble of ripping it out later when it becomes a total PITA and skip it all-together. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Leucs don't get any benefit from a water feature in the tank and it is more likely to harm them than be neutral, especially in a tank that opens at the top. I know most new folks really, really want to have that water feature in their dart tank and the guys on the YouTube channels say it's ok, but just remember that it is for you, not for the frogs. On this board, we tend to advocate for what's best for the animals. Even if a water feature was a good idea, it's even harder to implement in a tank that will have so little height left after you add drainage, substrate, and leaf litter layers.

Mark
Thank you. tbh after looking into trying to build a water feature, it seems pretty complicated to make it look the way I had in my head.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hopefully you can make out what's going on in the pictures but this is how I set up my top opening tanks.

I drill holes in both sides close to the front glass, then use gromets and noseeum mesh for vents, this keeps the front glass from fogging up. While I'm at it I drill for a bulkhead. Then I use glass aquarium tops and modify the plastic strip that comes with them. I cut holes with a dremel and silicone noseeum mesh over the holes. You also need to silicone the plastic to the rim of the tank. One disadvantage is I have to do this on the back of the tank when it's more ideal to have the top vent towards the front. I agree that front opening tanks are better but top opening tanks work just fine too.

Hopefully this makes sense.
View attachment 298683 View attachment 298683 View attachment 298684 View attachment 298683 View attachment 298684 View attachment 298685 View attachment 298683 View attachment 298684 View attachment 298685
You wouldn't happen to have a full tank shot would you?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts