Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I am beginning to work on a 40 gallon breeder and am wondering what others have done to vent this size tank.

Currently I am thinking about drilling 4-6 2" holes across the top for passive ventilation and two holes on the sides of the tank towards the front with one fan pushing air in and the other pulling air out to create a nice flow. Any reason I shouldn't go with this plan?

Thanks,
Nathan

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
sounds like a good idea to me...but maybe a vent holes opposite each other would not be as effective...but that's just a guess...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think a total of 6-8 holes may be excessive. I don't keep frogs, but I basically have 3 ventilation holes in my hermit crab viv and 2 are passive - I combined an extra fan with the plumbing for my fogger, and I count that as a ventilation hole. I don't have pictures, but if you poke around on the forums, someone a while back found some 48mm round computer fans on ebay that can be wedged into a 1 1/2" PVC pipe fitting, which I have then reduced to 1/2".. I get plenty of airflow that way, any more would probably be too much. I settled on that solution after trying to figure out a way to just mount the fan inside the tank, but I never did figure out anything that would be easy.

Mostly I found that unless I have some air movement in my tank, my humidity sensor tends to freak out and read 95% no matter what... even when the humidity is not that high - I suspect condensation builds up inside the sensor when the air is too still.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts