Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we've been really busy doing video tutorials, so thought while we were making our next set of videos, I'd do an old fashion construction journal. Always fun.

So w/ our new vert kit design, I had to have a new 40gal vert. Great excuse imo. And of course I use huge pics, so their aspect ratios are off, lol. Click on image to pop up, and fix the aspect ratio.

So some pics of course.

Empty 40gal w/ the kit installed.

Used foam to make a "L" shaped base for the background. Really only did this so I could build the difficult part outside of the tank. This is nice when you're forced to work outside w/ some of the products that have bad fumes.

Some beginnings for later steps...

And should have some pics up tonight of the rock pool,, ,doing grout as we speak. One of my favorite things when I first got into the hobby was all the build threads, I still try to read a large majority of them. So its nice to finally make time to do another one of my own.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Test fit of the background that we're building outside of the viv, on the false bottom... Has first couple layers of grout on the pond area. Will get pics of the rock progress here later.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not 1000% decided yet. But we have a trio of fants that could use the tank... Again, not 100% sure, but I'm more excited for the build and what I have planed for the tank, the tutorial that will come from this build, and another viv to have fun w/ plants in.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I really like the design of the vert kit. The hinge opening door is awesome. I will have to get one once I get a 40 breeder :D

Q: Would you be willing to send some of those white plastic pieces that hold the door in place? The ones that have holes in them to put the screw through. I hope you know what I'm talking about. I would buy them from a store, but I do not know where to start looking. A point in the right direction would be helpful too!

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah could easily send you some of the thumb latch pieces... But if you have a local hardware store, they should have them in the screen repair stuff... Should save ya some $$ if you can find em local.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Hey Aaron,
Nice job on the ids on YouTube. There are some steps tho that are missing that I need help with.
How do you run the power chord for water feature through the front of the kit?
You said in the video it will be shown yet it never was :p

What type of foam are you using for your rocks?
Also where can I find the rubber window hinge peice?
I'm gonna go to the hardware store and mess around and see what I can find.

Thanks,
Brandon

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Aaron,
Nice job on the ids on YouTube. There are some steps tho that are missing that I need help with.
How do you run the power chord for water feature through the front of the kit?
You said in the video it will be shown yet it never was :p

What type of foam are you using for your rocks?
Also where can I find the rubber window hinge peice?
I'm gonna go to the hardware store and mess around and see what I can find.

Thanks,
Brandon
Thanks, there are a few ways to get power cords out the front of a kit, though I do it differently on the 40gal side opening tanks vs. normal 10/20/29 gal kit tanks. On the smaller sizes I notch the glass below the hinge on one side of the tank. I normally do it on the edge to where i have to notch the lip on the tanks rim, but if the notch is big enough that's not needed. Then I simply silicone around it.

On the 40gal tanks being much larger, and not using the standard hinge and instead use a piano hinge, I go a little bit further. I normally cut the cord, and drill the bottom piece of glass. Then run the cord out, and repair the cord on the outside of the tank. This allows me to keep the hole small.

As for the foam I use on my rocks, I've used both the blue type and the white particle type foam. In this one I think I used the crappy white foam. Not very much fun, and not as good for rocks imo than the blue type foam. But since I'll be putting a layer of resin on top of the grout and near by features for a drip wall, it wasn't a big deal.

As for the hinge? I'm assuming you mean the plastic hinge that is used in the smaller kits? the fold town style? If so you can get it online, some fish stores have it though normally not the correct size. If you need it send me an email from aaafrogs If you mean the piano hinge, you can get it online, some sponsors here sell it. I dont have it listed, but if you need a piano hinge, or a custom kit send me an email.

Hope that helps? lol

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any updates??
No updates today :/ lol. We have been busy with the Free Frog promotion we are running until March 15th, and a new *top secret* project, that has taken up some time, as well as getting ready for our first show in Denver in May. I will have updates up well before then, looks like I'm getting some time freed up in the next week or so. Cant complain about being busy though.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Thanks, there are a few ways to get power cords out the front of a kit, though I do it differently on the 40gal side opening tanks vs. normal 10/20/29 gal kit tanks. On the smaller sizes I notch the glass below the hinge on one side of the tank. I normally do it on the edge to where i have to notch the lip on the tanks rim, but if the notch is big enough that's not needed. Then I simply silicone around it.

On the 40gal tanks being much larger, and not using the standard hinge and instead use a piano hinge, I go a little bit further. I normally cut the cord, and drill the bottom piece of glass. Then run the cord out, and repair the cord on the outside of the tank. This allows me to keep the hole small.

As for the foam I use on my rocks, I've used both the blue type and the white particle type foam. In this one I thinke I used the crappy white foam. Not very much fun, and not as good for rocks imo than the blue type foam. But since I'll be putting a layer of resin on

As for the hinge? I'm assuming you mean the plastic hinge that is used in the smaller kits? the fold town style? If so you can get it online, some fish stores have it though normally not the correct size. If you need it send me an email from aaafrogs If you mean the piano hinge, you can get it online, some sponsors here sell it. I dont have it listed, but if you need a piano hinge, or a custom kit send me an email.

Hope that helps? lol

Thanks Aaron.
I actually found the plastic/rubber hinge at the local petstore.
I also found the screen kit and the white plastic turns to hold the glass.
I was looking and I figured you have to have something to keep the glass from going into the vivarium.
Is there a certain screen rod you use that has a lip on the bottom for the glass to seat on?
If If I was gonna notch the glass for a chord id put it in the bottom corner and seal it well.
I'm gonna get some cicle glas cutting bits soon I hope.
I actually busted out the side and made a custom screen top for the vivarium I have now.
You can see it in the link in my signature.

When you made our faux rock wall/waterfall do you do the vinegar soak to neautralie the pH?
One more...I hope you don't mind all the questions...
I can't find the black Great Stuff. They have some for ponds by another company but they want like $12 vs $4 for a can of GS.
If I use the regular yellow GS and use black silicone will the yellow show through?

I used clear silicone for my latest build on top of white styrofoam and I'm starting to see some white behide some of the peat moss. That's what I get for being eager :|

Thanks for all your help.
-Brandon

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah our kits have multiple features we do to make them 1: ff proof, and 2: sit on or in the lip. There are a few ways to do this if you're doing a fold down door using the regular plastic hinge.

I dont use vinegar to neutralize ph. Instead I use basic water, moving water to be exact. I put the pieces inside a 5gal bucket w/ a power head. Have tons laying around since i've reduced my reef tanks down to 15 from 30. I simply have the moving water, and change it out every day the first week, then every 4-5 days until it no longer effects the Ph.

I get my black g.s. foam at ACE hardware. Home depot has never had it here locally, instead they have some different brand version (as you siad) for ponds and such. There was a thread about that foam on here, I'm sure you could find it if you searched for the exact name it is (though I do not remember what the name is, nor weather it was recommended or not)

As for the yellow g.s. I've used it in the past w/ black or brown silicone, and eventually I could see some yellow showing through. Using an epoxy would guarantee a better coverage, but for me its easy enough to get the black g.s.., and I like having a bit of it showing through, breaks up the background a bit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts