Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I have had a couple friends point me to this site....I have 4 dart frogs that needs a home. I tried to start a thread under the Sale section but it said I didn't have permission. Is that because I just joined?

I'm actually looking for someone or 2 with knowledge to adopt them (all 4 are currently living happily together but could be separated into 2s). The owners moved and I don't want to simply list them on craigslist in fear that someone who thinks that look cool but don't know how to take care of them will answer the ad. 1 is pure, 3 are hybrids. They are absolutely gorgeous, friendly, the plants are growing like wild. I have many other amphibians and reptiles that do not eat flies, do not want to get into raising flies, and can't keep paying $10 for the little jar at Petco. Please help!

Hybrids are the ones in the 1st 2 pictures. There's another hybrid like those. The 4th frog looking for a home is is in the last picture (the other frog in that picture, ie its mate, passed away).

Thanks!
Michelle

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Where are you located? If you would consider shipping them to near cinti. Oh, I would be very interested in keeping them in my biology lab.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Thank you for telling us about the hybrids. You should be able to find good people here who would be willing to raise them individually. Where are you located?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I don't think these were his frogs. I think they were a friend of his? So I wouldn't hammer him on the hybrids really. At least hr is looking for a good home for them..
I'm not hammering him, just leading him to some useful information. It saddens me too see any hybrid regardless of how they are cared for or where they will be homed. Who's to say they won't end up in being bred with other tincs or between themselves for that matter years down the road. Yea maybe the first guy would be responsible with them, but if he hands them off to someone else? How do you know for sure they won't breed and create more hybrids that could eventually leak into the hobby. I applaud the OP for being responsible and letting everyone know they are hybrids and that he is trying to find them a good home. It does Not state in the post that they should Not be bred together though. I am against hybrids/crossbreeding. If it were up to me these frogs wouldnt even exist, but they do so we have to deal with it. All I ask is to stop these hybrids from reproducing.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
379 Posts
Anyone want to take a stab at which one of those frogs is "pure"? My bet is that all four are hybrids...What morph is the pure one?

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I'm not hammering him, just leading him to some useful information. It saddens me too see any hybrid regardless of how they are cared for or where they will be homed. Who's to say they won't end up in being bred with other tincs or between themselves for that matter years down the road. Yea maybe the first guy would be responsible with them, but if he hands them off to someone else? How do you know for sure they won't breed and create more hybrids that could eventually leak into the hobby. I applaud the OP for being responsible and letting everyone know they are hybrids and that he is trying to find them a good home. It does Not state in the post that they should Not be bred together though. I am against hybrids/crossbreeding. If it were up to me these frogs wouldnt even exist, but they do so we have to deal with it. All I ask is to stop these hybrids from reproducing.

Thanks,
Chris
Oh okay, I thought you were hammering him. Well I pmed him offering to take the frogs, to make sure they won't be bred. I as well hate to see hybrids, but if there is already one I would never want someone to kill it just because it's a hybrid.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'm sure a number of us would be happy to take the hybrids and care for them, mainly to keep them out of the gene pool. They all look fat and healthy.

Now, if we only knew where this person lived so arrangements could be made....

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Good effort here, Chris. I keep a couple of outcrossed tinctorius in my collection that were produced by others and I don't agree with many hobbyists that they are "aweful" or "hated" or whatever. They are the same frogs we fell in love with, just not exactly as they would be found in nature (hardly grounds to call for their execution).

I do think a reasonable question would be to ask who produced them (where did they come from originally), just to determine if there is a larger group that isn't accounted for.

Good luck with them, Richard.

Oh okay, I thought you were hammering him. Well I pmed him offering to take the frogs, to make sure they won't be bred. I as well hate to see hybrids, but if there is already one I would never want someone to kill it just because it's a hybrid.

·
Registered
106 Posts
There are many parallels one could draw to condemning a hybrid because it's a hybrid, even though the frog had no control over this. I applaud you froggers out there who would be a home for these frogs. Hybridization may not be "morally" correct, but that has already taken place. Now we just need to find a home for these poor "black sheep" frogs!

·
Registered
610 Posts
I wonder if every one that posted referring to the OP in the masculine tense bothered to read the salutation. Whoops. ;)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I do not advocate the execution of these frogs, just that they go to a responsible frogger please...it only takes one drop of red paint to taint a gallon of white forever!Thanks Mike for pointing out the whoops !

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Michelle ,

where are you located? Very good that your taking the time to do this ! Although they are hybrids and are not natural(pure), they still need to find a good home.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Hello Michelle. I work with thumbnails and pumilios. My son, Frogboy, would love to have some terrestrials frogs to care for. They would obviously be under my care too and I do have a good bit of experience. We would promise to give them a good home while not allowing the crossbred genetics to spread. We are in Denver, Colorado.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hi,

I have had a couple friends point me to this site....I have 4 dart frogs that needs a home. I tried to start a thread under the Sale section but it said I didn't have permission. Is that because I just joined?

I'm actually looking for someone or 2 with knowledge to adopt them (all 4 are currently living happily together but could be separated into 2s). The owners moved and I don't want to simply list them on craigslist in fear that someone who thinks that look cool but don't know how to take care of them will answer the ad. 1 is pure, 3 are hybrids. They are absolutely gorgeous, friendly, the plants are growing like wild. I have many other amphibians and reptiles that do not eat flies, do not want to get into raising flies, and can't keep paying $10 for the little jar at Petco. Please help!

Hybrids are the ones in the 1st 2 pictures. There's another hybrid like those. The 4th frog looking for a home is is in the last picture (the other frog in that picture, ie its mate, passed away).

Thanks!
Michelle
you dont have to buy the cultures,you can make them yourself for free

·
Banned
685 Posts
I wonder if the OP hasn't responded to this thread because she was chased away by the responce she recieved while trying to do the right thing??????

Being opinionated is not a bad thing, but some people tend to get harsh and bullyish with their responses ALOT around here.

The old adverb " If you don't have anything nice to say................"

The purpose of the forum is to share info and help others as well as get help and receive info. Not scare people away and push your beliefs on them.

HOPEFULLY SHE DIDN'T SAY HELL WITH DENDROBOARD AND GIVE THEM TO SOMEONE THAT WILL INTRODUCE THEM INTO THE HOBBY BECAUSE OF THE TREATMENT SHE JUST RECEIVED HERE.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.