Dendroboard banner

3D Printer Internal-Air Circulation System

9K views 41 replies 27 participants last post by  skijumpersc 
#1 ·
I've been getting a bit frustrated with big prints on my 3D printer. So this week I took some time out to work on smaller issues. 3D printers make it so there is no need to be like MacGyver with parts from Home Depot. This design turned pretty good!

#5 ·
That looks awesome, Jae! I might need to buy one of those for my FrogFace! I've been meaning to start a build thread for that project actually. Hopefully I'll post some pics of the initial planting soon. :)

John

#6 ·
I may just want to buy one of those for my regular aquarium. It looks nice and the directional airflow while being low profile is awesome. I've been holding back on doing a fan because i didn't like how they "stood up" if you know what I mean.

#7 ·
3D printing is an amazing technology, and your design looks great.

However, I have a question about the magnets:

Does the magnetic field of the magnets affect the engine?
I'm asking because electric motors produce their own magnetic field, and it is essential for their operation.
If you operate the same motor with/without the magnets, do you notice any difference?

#10 ·
Thanks guys. I'm surprised by the response. This sucker will hold through 1/4" inch glass so it should be good with any tank. And no, the magnetics don't effects the fan itself. But it should be tested more. I was planning to make 10 for beta testing. I take it I should make more?

See, the fan spins!

#12 ·
Thanks guys. I'm surprised by the response. This sucker will hold through 1/4" inch glass so it should be good with any tank. And no, the magnetics don't effects the fan itself. But it should be tested more. I was planning to make 10 for beta testing. I take it I should make more?

See, the fan spins!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZXIDpPyUIQ
Yes make more.....that is the best solution I have seen for internal fans yet

#11 ·
I would definitely want to get one. Right now I have no airflow in my tank except for my vent. With this I could cover more of the vent and keep my humidity up. How much are you looking for these for the beta test? Also if you do this will you be including fans? or Is that something we need to get. Anyway this is a great idea, keep up the great work Jae Le.

#15 ·
Okay. I finally figured out my 3D printer issues. Damn cogs! Tested the fix by making these 60mm spherical bad boys for my 72-gallon trifecta.

I would have done 50mm fans, but I don't have any and with the Chinese New Year here I won't be doing a big order for a few weeks. As you can see, these are omnidirectional and work better for large tanks. However, my focus is fans for 10-20 gallon tanks.

Design suggestions always appreciated. I'll see about getting a beta testing page up and running. Thanks everyone.

#18 ·
I'm interested in one for my Exo Terra 18x18x24 Tall I have to constantly wipe the condensation off the glass doors throughout the day
Maybe that's why my frogs stay hidden most of the time cuz I'm fiddling with a paper towel all the time
Looking forward to hearing from you
Thanks
Scootin-Newton

#22 ·
Sorry. Was in Las Vegas for a while there working a convention.

Well my fans have been in the tanks for a while now, and it looks like it's helping since I'm not getting the same rot issues I had in the past. However I'm still trying to maximize fan output while lowering fan hum. I guess I need beta testers.

If anyone wants buy the printed parts for testing on a 50mm fan I can print them out and ship them easy enough. Getting full systems up and running may take a while longer.

How do any of you interested plan on getting power into the tank? Will you be drilling holes? If so how large? Please let me know as I'm working to resolve these kinds of issues.

#24 ·
This is a great question. I have yet to drill holes in the top of the viv for anything other than misting heads; however, I could see drilling a very small hole for this if you find the right location. The more likely option for me would be to put this towards the rear of the tank and run the wiring out of the rear, either through screen or a small notch.

Here is a thought for you. What if you made an attachment option like a Mistking nozzle. With this type of attachment you would drill the hole to attach the fan; however, the wiring for the fan could run through the center of the bolt and out of the top. Just an idea.

Reactions: MasterOogway
#23 ·
As I have a glass top on my 29g I was just going to cut a little slip into the molding around the top. Just large enough for the power cord of the fan to get through. At least that's the idea. On another note if we do the beta testing what type of fan should we use? Or do you want us to just use whatever is available and report the results? Really looking forward to being able to see my frogs.

#29 ·
What's the estimated cost of parts here? Definitely interested in beta testing these. And yeah, I'd probably just drill a hole in the top like I do for my mistking nozzles. Altho trying to fit it out a slot in the back would be an option too, since it'd probably be mounted close to the back of the tank anyways.

#30 · (Edited)
I'd say for the 3 parts and magnets, about $12 plus $6 shipping. I can probably get at least 4 sets in a box or padded bag priority mail.

That's beta testing prices since I'd like to hear what works best for you. Based on need size of the tank.

Jae Le

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.