Dendroboard banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yup, I was planning on plants they won’t trample!

I was worried about clumsy frogs falling off, so the angles and width of surfaces is on my mind.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I received a couple plants on my wishlist today! Philodendron verrucosum and monstera adansonii .If the vivarium doesn’t come soon I may upgrade to the 36” high just for more space for these glorious leaves when they grow in. I’m nervous about my planned lighting if I do go that route.

Reactions: Robru

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Excuse the terrible lighting from my porch! Now, time for sleep it is!

I guess I fell asleep as I was typing this, lol

Reactions: Robru

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I got the rack up! It’s 48”x24”x70” Got the drainage layer cut and installed! I used coarse aquarium filter pad. There’s just a hint of silicone, so I’ll wait for a few more days to put in the substrate and leaf litter. Temporary lighting for this picture.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I’m having difficulty deciding where to put the P. verrucosum and M. adansonii. I have 1 verrucosum and 2 adansonii, and suggestions?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I figured it’s about time to give a viv tour.

Top veiws, from left - right:

Some plant close-ups

I’m looking forward to watching it all grow!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Is that last one a dwarf Philodendron verrucosum? Where did you get it? Do they get too big for a vivarium? I love that plant but can't find it and worried they get too big.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Is that last one a dwarf Philodendron verrucosum? Where did you get it? Do they get too big for a vivarium? I love that plant but can't find it and worried they get too big.
It’s not a mini :( I got it and the M. adansonii from frog daddy. Glassbox tropicals did have the mini in stock a while ago, but I couldn’t justify the cost. The standard grows large, so time will tell if it gets too crazy in here.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It’s not a mini :( I got it and the M. adansonii from frog daddy. Glassbox tropicals did have the mini in stock a while ago, but I couldn’t justify the cost. The standard grows large, so time will tell if it gets too crazy in here.
Thanks. How long does it take to outgrow your vivarium? I would love to get the regular, but am worried about it outgrowing too quickly. Those are expensive too, right? Where did you get that one?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thanks. How long does it take to outgrow your vivarium? I would love to get the regular, but am worried about it outgrowing too quickly. Those are expensive too, right? Where did you get that one?
This is my first verrucosum (standard) so I’m not sure how it will grow. I’m sure it will grow differently with lighting, humidity, and amount of substrate that each vivarium being so variable. I’m hoping it will grow compact with leaves closer together and around the size of my extended hand.

Mini is more expensive than standard (which I have) and I got it from frogdaddy.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I found a wishlist plant at Lowe’s last week. Alocasia ‘polly’ I hope it does well.
59851242-127A-4249-A944-BFC8C5BC8593.jpeg

I wish I was a frog so I could rest under this!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use alocasia "Polly" in one of my vivariums. It works well enough
Won't it get to big to fast tho?
I have an Alocasia Amazonica 'small' (if I'm not mistaken it's the same or almost the same) that's bigger than my 18"x18"x24" and it's about a year old. Most of the time plants in my viv grow even faster than in the living room.

Luckily alocasia makes an amazing ornamental plant in the living room and doesn't have an intricate root system, so I think it's easily removeable when it gets to big.

·
Super Moderator
2,464 Posts
Won't it get to big to fast tho?
I have an Alocasia Amazonica 'small' (if I'm not mistaken it's the same or almost the same) that's bigger than my 18"x18"x24" and it's about a year old. Most of the time plants in my viv grow even faster than in the living room.

Luckily alocasia makes an amazing ornamental plant in the living room and doesn't have an intricate root system, so I think it's easily removeable when it gets to big.
Maybe it's just my tank/setup but they haven't grown much height at all in the 9 months that I've had it in the tank.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The juveniles are going into the big vivarium! I wonder which ones I will end up with as adults?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts