Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the next few weeks I will be starting on setting this thing up. The viv and cork box (flats/rounds) are coming this week. I'm going to do an egg crate false bottom this time. The overall idea is to have the background and one side covered to make it feel like the base of a tree buttress (I'm lacking in creativity, so bear with me) that is overgrown with forest debris and plants. Or who knows how it will end up looking lol.

I love the look of the nicrew planted plus with the imitator viv. For this one, I don't want the green led (it makes the imis pop) so I'm going with nicrew skyLED, it has a higher par rating for the extra height, and no green led, just white, blue, red.

Has anyone used greenhouse polycarbonate sheet as a top? I'm not to keen on a 36"wide glass lid with no support at the back for ventilation...plus a kitten that loves all my tanks :( I need to make a new top for my 29 gal aquarium because the acrylic warps too often (sick of flipping it every few days!) So I'm goin to get a few panels and cut them to size.

I've been trying to get substrate/litter/plants from one place to save on shipping, but that doesn't look like its going to happen!

Here's my wishlist:
a couple coco huts
a few lliana vines
monkey pods
live oak and magnolia leaf litter
a piece of ghost wood? not sure on this yet, as I have to build the background

As for plants:
Oak leaf creeping fig
Peperomia angulata or prostrata
Monstera adansonii
Alocasia poly
Philodendron birkin and or wendimbe still undecided if any
Monocostus unifloris (already have cutting started)
Macodes petola (because, why not, I think I need it in all my vivs)
Moss/liverwort covered wood in the leaf litter
I might throw in brom pups as mine multiply, but its not in my initial plans

The weather is still risky for shipping so I've been watching these all go out of stock in various places.
Thats it for now. I'll hopefully have an update this weekend!

·
Registered
217 Posts
You could use thicker molded plexiglass, it really doesn't warp, unless the span becomes too big. But you could bridge that by mounting some strips in the width, so that the plate has support.

·
Super Moderator
3,963 Posts
QUOTE="Frogmanjared, post: 3123570, member: 126912"]
Has anyone used greenhouse polycarbonate sheet as a top?
[/QUOTE]
Polycarbonate contains endocrine disruptors, and so isn't an ideal choice.

Thicker tempered glass (1/4") might be cat-safe, although having a piece cut in a sort of a T-shape (with large-ish notches on the back left and back right, into which you could set screen inserts) would be even better -- so, a ~36 x 18 rectangle, with a, say, 4.5" x 12" cutout on the two back corners would leave a 12" support to reach the back lip of the viv and would give open area equal to a 3" strip across the back.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could use thicker molded plexiglass, it really doesn't warp, unless the span becomes too big. But you could bridge that by mounting some strips in the width, so that the plate has support.
Price wise, I’ll have to compare.
QUOTE="Frogmanjared, post: 3123570, member: 126912"]
Has anyone used greenhouse polycarbonate sheet as a top?

Thicker tempered glass (1/4") might be cat-safe, although having a piece cut in a sort of a T-shape (with large-ish notches on the back left and back right, into which you could set screen inserts) would be even better -- so, a ~36 x 18 rectangle, with a, say, 4.5" x 12" cutout on the two back corners would leave a 12" support to reach the back lip of the viv and would give open area equal to a 3" strip across the back.
[/QUOTE]

Time to get a quote I suppose! Good suggestion. Hopefully they won’t charge an arm or a leg for extra cuts. I wonder if an aquarium plastic hinge for lids would be enough support across the back. Options...

·
Super Moderator
3,963 Posts
I use One Day Glass for online purchases -- I don't have a local glass shop. Notches aren't cheap -- I think they use a water jet to cut them.

·
Registered
497 Posts
There's always something. 😖

I have some custom Exo Terra lids en route and of course they have 30" x 8" polycarbonate windows in them.

I think they're bolted in so they could be retro-fitted, what I wonder at this point is how dangerous those strips 33" above the frogs' heads are from a leaching standpoint, and then there's the fact that a lot of reptile/amphibian enclosures and enclosure components are made with PVC which contains pthalates, also endocrine disruptors I believe.

bangs head against nearest wall

·
Super Moderator
3,963 Posts
and then there's the fact that a lot of reptile/amphibian enclosures and enclosure components are made with PVC which contains pthalates, also endocrine disruptors I believe.
Do folks use these for amphibians? They're challenging to waterproof effectively at the seams, IME. I lacked the foresight to solvent weld mine when I assembled them, though.

Unfortunately, for many reptile species PVC enclosures and polyethylene tubs are far superior to glass enclosures. mostly because they hold heat well, but also because they are opaque. The (possibly very slight; I don't know) risk to frogs might not be worth taking if there are suitable safer and easily accessible alternatives.

I suppose there is an untutored intuition that frogs would be more able to uptake leached plastisizers than would reptiles (or humans), but a little internet searching suggests that's not entirely accurate.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Do folks use these for amphibians? They're challenging to waterproof effectively at the seams, IME. I lacked the foresight to solvent weld mine when I assembled them, though.

Unfortunately, for many reptile species PVC enclosures and polyethylene tubs are far superior to glass enclosures. mostly because they hold heat well, but also because they are opaque. The (possibly very slight; I don't know) risk to frogs might not be worth taking if there are suitable safer and easily accessible alternatives.

I suppose there is an untutored intuition that frogs would be more able to uptake leached plastisizers than would reptiles (or humans), but a little internet searching suggests that's not entirely accurate.
There's an old thread on PVC builds here wherein Ed provided this now defunct link that seemed to put some people's minds at ease (*EDIT: that's actually not definite, I re-read it), and there are anecdotal reports as well that suggest it's a usable material.

For myself, I'm exploring the possibility of using PVC for a large enclosure in order to take advantage of lighter weight and the possibility of being able to take it apart should I need to move it, but waterproofing it remains a challenge -- even if I didn't 'weld' the upper seams the bottom needs to be watertight.

May be able to solve that by designing as a sort of tray a separate bottom section that encompasses floor/false bottom/ substrate but it'll take some thought as I'm not sure if it would end up over-designed without enough pay-off for the material choice.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For the time being, I’ll use the exo-terra screen lid and cut inserts to control the ventilation.

Cork comes today! I can test out some layouts!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bad news first... the enclosure was on the delivery truck, but it was labeled as cancelled. Apparently the driver declared it damaged... :( I’m hoping he didn’t attempt because of the size.

In good news, the cork came, holy @[email protected]! 10# goes a long way! That’s 23”+

·
Registered
217 Posts
Bad news first... the enclosure was on the delivery truck, but it was labeled as cancelled. Apparently the driver declared it damaged... :( I’m hoping he didn’t attempt because of the size.
Hopefully your viv has no transport damage, that would be very annoying at a new start ... wait even longer :(

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It’s a bad/good/bad/good news kind of day! Viv was returned and I’m getting a refund (didn’t even get to see the damage). this morning I ordered from a place I can drive to. They called and said they sold their last one before website updated... but I will have the next one they receive! Just a waiting game now, but at least I get the size I want.

With the cork that arrived, I might rethink the setup. That huge cork round could lead to some interesting formations. Any ideas?

·
Registered
Dendrobates Tinctorus “Azureus”, Epipedobates Anthonyi “Santa Isabel”, and also myself.
524 Posts
It’s a bad/good/bad/good news kind of day! Viv was returned and I’m getting a refund (didn’t even get to see the damage). this morning I ordered from a place I can drive to. They called and said they sold their last one before website updated... but I will have the next one they receive! Just a waiting game now, but at least I get the size I want.

With the cork that arrived, I might rethink the setup. That huge cork round could lead to some interesting formations. Any ideas?
You could make a fallen tree trunk/log-like effect. I saw a really cool one on this thread.
The guy said he used apple tree branches which I’m not sure if they rot easily.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here’s one possible layout. Behold the cardboard vivarium, lol. The large tube is placed in a way that the frogs could travel on top or through it, adding another shelter. It’s still ideal, but it’s a start. I want to create as much useful surface as possible. Maybe I could create another ramp on the right side of the viv.

·
Registered
Dendrobates Tinctorus “Azureus”, Epipedobates Anthonyi “Santa Isabel”, and also myself.
524 Posts
Here’s one possible layout. Behold the cardboard vivarium, lol. The large tube is placed in a way that the frogs could travel on top or through it, adding another shelter. It’s still ideal, but it’s a start. I want to create as much useful surface as possible. Maybe I could create another ramp on the right side of the viv.

View attachment 297972
I feel this would be much better for a more arboreal frog like Whites. I like it though.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I feel this would be much better for a more arboreal frog like Whites. I like it though.
I tried to keep the angles pretty low to encourage climbing. Given it’s only around 16” at the highest point, it doesn’t seem arboreal, IMO. Arboreal to me would me more vertical climbing. This setup is like fallen branches. The lliana vine will be somewhere for a marcgravia. I agree climbers would like this as well.

Can any tinc keepers suggest if azureus will utilize this?

·
Registered
524 Posts
I tried to keep the angles pretty low to encourage climbing. Given it’s only around 16” at the highest point, it doesn’t seem arboreal, IMO. Arboreal to me would me more vertical climbing. This setup is like fallen branches. The lliana vine will be somewhere for a marcgravia. I agree climbers would like this as well.

Can any tinc keepers suggest if azureus will utilize this?
Oh here! I have an overgrown tank and the tincs climb on this one plant (believe it’s a Pothos sp.) like tree frogs. It’s kinda funny seeing them climb from one branch to another.

You’re right. They will utilize it. I was thinking you might of been getting maybe a more terrestrial species. I don’t keep auratus but from what I’ve heard, they stick to the ground more often. If you add broad leaf plants however, they might utilize them equally the same. Just a thought.

·
Registered
97 Posts
believe it’s a Pothos sp.
I believe pothos is only a common name. The genus name is Epipremnum. Sorry to be "that guy" 🙂. Although, there are some true Pothos species. I just rarely ever see them used in vivs, and it's often just a mislabeled Scindapsus, Rhaphidophora, Monstera, or Epipremnum species, or just something super hard to ID.

I don't personally keep tincs, but a friend does. They will absolutely use any space you give them, like leucs (but tincs are bigger and less graceful about it.) I think the setup looks great for them.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I believe pothos is only a common name. The genus name is Epipremnum. Sorry to be "that guy" 🙂.

I don't personally keep tincs, but a friend does. They will absolutely use any space you give them, like leucs (but tincs are bigger and less graceful about it). I think the setup looks great for them.
Ah, well again, not really a plant guy so thanks.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts