Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Me too, horizontal. 'Grains' cracks fissures. a nuance of climb ergo goodness.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did some trimming and patched spots I missed.
Also got false bottom in. Debating on whether to put a pvc pipe in to access the bottom, or lift barrier when needed and run hose through egg crate. Will cover false bottom area with contact paper.
The lid is 1/4 laminated glass i got for free from a local guy. I built ~3" screen for ventilation on back, will probably silicone it all together.
Up next microfauna, flora, and substrate. Suggestions on plants appreciated, especially appropriate broms and vining plants.

Attachments

·
Registered
614 Posts
Having a port to access is way better than lifting a barrier. Somehow I had the foresight to do that with the first one I built and neglected to do the next several. I lost two frogs that way. One azureus burrowed down in the spot I inserted a siphon and an imitator did the same.

I did a tank tear down to remove substrate and clean it up. I didn’t have a port to insert tubing to drain it in there before so I got a bigger seed pod and drilled it out to 1/4” and fixed to the egg crate so I can stick the tubing in. You can see in the lower left hand corner. Not a large enough hole for leucomelas to squeeze into.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Having a port to access is way better than lifting a barrier. Somehow I had the foresight to do that with the first one I built and neglected to do the next several. I lost two frogs that way. One azureus burrowed down in the spot I inserted a siphon and an imitator did the same.

I did a tank tear down to remove substrate and clean it up. I didn’t have a port to insert tubing to drain it in there before so I got a bigger seed pod and drilled it out to 1/4” and fixed to the egg crate so I can stick the tubing in. You can see in the lower left hand corner. Not a large enough hole for leucomelas to squeeze into.
View attachment 296330
Thanks for sharing your experience. I did wind up installing a pvc pipe through the false bottom.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After many touch ups I have substrate and plants in. For substrate I used Zilla jungle mix topped with sphagnum and leaf litter. Plants are an unknown moss, pilea, lemon button fern, maidenhair fern, green fantasy fern, pothos, creeping jew, and fittonia. I'm in the process of culturing isopods and springtails. Have learned alot on this build, which will help me with my next.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
My leucs climb and scramble all over everything, and do hang out in huts even when not breeding. They climb the glass and hang out by the misters.

If you do add more plants, consider something large-leaved that they can both climb on and hide under. Even pathos or similar is a great plant for leucs.

They are busy guys -- give them a playpen. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My leucs climb and scramble all over everything, and do hang out in huts even when not breeding. They climb the glass and hang out by the misters.

If you do add more plants, consider something large-leaved that they can both climb on and hide under. Even pathos or similar is a great plant for leucs.

They are busy guys -- give them a playpen. :)
Got some pothos in there. If I can ever find some cork tubes I'm going to add a few. You can't tell from the picture but the background has numerous nooks, ledges, and recessed "cave" areas for them to hide. Not all the plants in there will stay I'm growing some out for a 24x18x18 for tincs. Thanks for the ideas and feedback.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts