Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to redo a 36gal bowfront viv for the 2nd time it is going to house a pair of azureus or possibly suriname cobalts. Ive made some fake rocks and I plan on putting clay in between them.

Here's the progress so far...

here's the false bottom I left an inch or two around the outside perimeter to be be filled with lava rock and hide the ugly white eggcrate.

I started by cutting the foam into general shapes and using toothpicks to hold them together. I then used a rasp to carve it to the desired shape

I then covered most of the foam with Quikcrete mortar mix.

I then mixed up some drylok and tinted it to make it a dark grey. Later on Ill do some detail work to make it a less uniform color. I also made a stream bed out of Greatstuff. The stream will flow into a shallow pool at the front of the tank and disappear behind the big rock on the left side.

The pump will be hidden in the back right corner and pump the water up through pvc pipe along the top and down to the outlet of the stream on the left side. The pvc be hidden by a great stuff/silicone/peat covering.

I placed to 1in pieces of foam in the corner to create an access to the pump. Eventually Im going to put a piece of "tree trunk like" driftwook against it and some more fake rocks, clay vines etc around it....

starting to make some vines...

More coming soon!!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Just a tip (if your patient, 3+ months) instead of detailing the rocks, in about 4 months the rocks will have green moss for an even natural look. This tank is coming along better than some pro faux rock tanks!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks! yes definately looking forward to seeing moss grow in, around, and over the rocks. :) I think I'll still do some drybrush etc to break up the uniform color and give them some depth...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright so its time for another update! I'm just about done I just have to install the light and air circulation fan and wait for the tank to establish for a few weeks before adding the frogs. So here it is:

Ok so Ive seen alot of people asking about plexiglass vs glass lids and people asking about plexi warping. I decided to go with plexi because its easier to cut and drill and as far as the warping I decided to show everyone how I prevent it...

Ok so the supplies I used were .22in plexiglass, .25in aluminum channel, silicone and gorilla super glue and epoxy.

After the plexi was cut to fit the shape I used a miter box and hack say to cut the aluminum channel to fit all strait sides of the lid including the door where the hings would be. I had to use pliers to make the channel fit snuggly aroung the plexi then I glued them in place.(I had to use gorilla epoxy on the hinges. Gorilla superglue wouldnt work for some reason.)

Then along the front I applied a thick bead of silicone on the underside to create a tight fit to keep humidity and frogs inside. I then pressed it down on wax paper(silicone doesnt stick very well to wax paper) to make sure the silicone was even with the aluminum channel. Then I cover both sides of the plexi with tape and spray painted it black and let it dry and thats it for the lid.

Here's the pump its a Minijet-404. I used some foam filter media(for ponds) to creat a make shift filter. The main reason being to keep debris out of the pump.

Here I added decorative stone and gravel to the water area and lava rock across the front to hide the egg crate. I also mounted a fake liana and put in the mesh substrate divider.

Here I added clay in between the rocks and filled the tank with water and soil. I will put moss, vines, bromeliads, etc. in between them and hopefully eventually it will look like rocks with plants growing out from between them. :D

Here's a pic of the stream and pool.

More pictures of the planting to come! Comments Suggestions welcome. :)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Not sure exactely how fast it is. The pump has adjustable flow with 6 "settings" the highest setting is 108gph; right now its running at its second lowest setting. I'll try to make a video soon.

Ok. Im holding off on building my tank again til i figure out what i wanna do....
Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alright so its time for an update on the planting. Its been planted now for almost 2 weeks and the plants seem to be growing well. The microfauna in the tank booming so the frogs should have plenty of food to snack on once they get in the tank. :) Right now Im just trying to let the plants establish a little more and fatten up my female azureus before putting her in the tank with a male (that I still have to buy). Im also planning on putting a few more plants in the water area. Im thinking some babytears and azolla would look great. Anyways here's the pictures sorry fro the poor quality I'll try to get some better ones with a camera I'm more familiar with...

Heres a pic of the pool as you can see the water level looks too high but if you look at the line at the top of the tape that is where the water level is under the soil so the soil is plenty high enough out of the water..

Suggestions/questions welcome!

Also Im looking to put an air circulations fan in. Does anybody have specific links for a 40mm fan and an adapter with adjustable voltage?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts