Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am new the the forum and have been using as a guest for inspiration, but i finally took the leap and created a riparium/vivarium of my own. Planning to keep dart frogs down the road possibly Dendrobates galactonotus or Mantella Baroni. Hope you like and input is welcome. The attached pictures are current, i have the build pics if anyone is curious.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The water has several area for animals to get out. I housed a pacman frog in there temporarily and even he was able to get out anytime he was spooked and fell in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ouch, if you already had a frog in there then you are going to have to tear it down to disinfect it before you add anything new to it :(
Is this because of cleanliness of the environment or a concern with bacteria from the pacman? He was in there for a very short period of time and the tank is flushed by a rain system. The land is a false bottom so waste is flushed through into the water to be picked up by the filter and water changes are done frequently.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Looks real nice! I would think of removing the Sansevieria trifasciata in front. It prefers much drier conditions.

I have a big water feature in my tank. My R amazonicas doesn't seem to have any problem with it. One the other hand, I've only had them for a couple of months. I've heard that bigger darts are clumsier (but again, just a novice talking). Good luck!

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Is this because of cleanliness of the environment or a concern with bacteria from the pacman? He was in there for a very short period of time and the tank is flushed by a rain system. The land is a false bottom so waste is flushed through into the water to be picked up by the filter and water changes are done frequently.
There is a cross contamination concern. Short of bleach or something like that there is no way to sterilize it completely without tearing it down completely, but it isn't a "must".

It is just a matter of are you willing to accept the risk that your pacman may transmit something to your dart frog? Personal choice basically, but the better husbandry practice is to house each animal in a viv another animal hasn't been in, unless the tank has been sterilized between inhabitants.

Kinda like russian roulette, chances are you'll get away with playing once, twice... but eventually "bang" you're likely going to wind up with a dead animal if you make it a regular practice, especially if you are smart about how you go about it (explained more below)... because at some point you'll get something that is sick and can transmit that sickness to another animal.

Frankly I've housed frogs in a viv others animals have been in, but usually not till that viv has dried out completely for months if not years (bone dry), or the original inhabitants are still healthy after a long time, or the original inhabitants were fairly distantly related like a lizard was in there, now a dart frog is... If they had both been frogs I'd be more leary, or I'm really really sure of what killed whatever might have died in that viv, and it wasn't a pathogen... Like if my power was out and it froze to death... I might house another dart frog in that viv rather then tear it down.

Personal choice, risk vs reward etc.. :)

·
Registered
792 Posts
Looks good man. I just finished my 36 gallon bowfront about 3 weeks ago. Everything is growing in nicely. Cool seeing another bowfront set up.

·
Registered
203 Posts
looks decent, I would agree with removing that Sansevieria trifasciata, it'll just rot where it is. Is there any reason you decided to leave the foam bare and not coat it with coco fiber or peat? That would be quite distracting for me personally if I had bare foam in my tank, but if that's what works for you then that's just fine (though I believe it does help keep humidity levels up). I personally would add some more vining and epiphytic plants to this viv higher up (bromeliads, ficus pumila, marcgravias, other creeping aroids and philodendron etc) and let them grow in before adding a frog too, especially in a tank with such a large water feature.

If you still have your pac man, one thing you should do is take it to a vet and get it tested for any number of diseases. If it shows up with nothing, then you're still faced with the same dilemma- natural organisms harmless to this from may be harmful to one from a different geographical area, maybe it's something more benign that didn't show, etc. But if it tests positive for anything, then any new inhabitants would be a definite no-go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts