Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
D. Leucomelas - E. Anthonyi - D. Tinctorius 'Tumucumaque'
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished my froglet enclosure, my plan is that this will be housing e. Anthonyi offspring when it's a little more grown in and stabilized, and after my d. Tinctorius tumucumaque make babies, it will house those instead. Any constructive criticism, advice or compliments are welcome :)

Plant Organism Wood Grass Adaptation
Nature Leaf Wood Plant Botany

Brown Plant Wood Bedrock Natural landscape
Plant Terrestrial plant Vegetation Wood Groundcover

Plant Leaf Organism Wood Terrestrial plant
Water Pet supply Plant Fish supply Wood

·
Administrator
4,773 Posts
One reason (among many) that I don't make attached backgrounds is so that when I want to use the viv for another species, it is relatively simple to disinfect everything (take everything out, bleach hardscape and plants, either bake or use fresh substrate, etc).

I'd be concerned about pathogen transfer otherwise.

·
Registered
Frogs
1,647 Posts
Everything @Socratic Monologue said + by adding a background, sides and substrate, the tank is no longer 30x30x30 cm. Which makes it very small to house a number of froglets.

A better growout would be an empty tank with only foam as substrate, some leaflitter on top of that and a place for them to hide under. This basic setup will have more space + easy cleaning/disinfecting.

You might want to setup more than one tank like this once your frogs start breeding. A healthy pair of Tinctorious can producte quite a lot of eggs every month. Don't get me started on E.Anthonyi.. these can produce up to a hundred a month.. 😅

·
Registered
D. Leucomelas - E. Anthonyi - D. Tinctorius 'Tumucumaque'
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I will refrain from using it for my anthonyi then, and have it grow in a bit longer.
Whilst a background may take away empty space, it also creates more usable space with the cork ledges and the texture in general, and I feel like the tank has a good balance of empty moving space and usable space in terms of climbing areas and leaf litter, although I am ofcourse not an expert. It wouldn't house more than a few frogs, it's just a nice way to display the growing babies IMO. Other froglets will be housed in more basic setups. Although a wall full of pretty 30cm cubes would be epic 😀

·
Administrator
4,773 Posts
creates more usable space with the cork ledges and the texture in general,
That's an important element that we should always keep in mind. I'm not sure that the 'texture' helps tincs much, though, as they're not too good at climbing vertical surfaces. Thinking of ways of designing in ramps and similar features that use that negative space without squeezing the footprint is a fun exercise, that's for sure. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts