Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

It is a Peperomia and it's a Home Depot special. I can't remember the actual type of Peperomia it is though. It seems to be doing pretty well. The rest of it is upstairs in my wifes garden window.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I was hoping you wouldn't say that lol. I guess I am unlucky, and my Home Depot doesn't get the good plants... or at least recently. I will have to make a stop there soon and check out their tropicals, maybe I will see it there. Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Uncle Sal andJbeetle

Yes, they are 55 watt cf's. But the moss is sheet moss (supposedly tropical) that has only been in there fo about 3 weeks. It really hasn't spread yet so I can't really say the cf's are working wonders on it.

But the cf's are great on a 25 gallon tall tank like this. I had regular lighting on it before and it was rather dim at the bottom. With the cf's it's nice and bright and really brings out the darts colors.

Thanks for the replies!

Oh, Jbeetle, I remembered that when I bought the Peperomia at Home Depot the tag just said "Peperomia". I found the type online though and I'll look again.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Re: Uncle Sal andJbeetle

Couple of questions:

Where did you get the compact fixture, and was it a TON of money?

I have seen them before but they were $150 or so.

Also the moss may not grow very fast, most does not. Java moss would be the fastest I would guess, and it does grow well, but I would not call it fast.

Leif said:
Yes, they are 55 watt cf's. But the moss is sheet moss (supposedly tropical) that has only been in there fo about 3 weeks. It really hasn't spread yet so I can't really say the cf's are working wonders on it.

But the cf's are great on a 25 gallon tall tank like this. I had regular lighting on it before and it was rather dim at the bottom. With the cf's it's nice and bright and really brings out the darts colors.

Thanks for the replies!

Oh, Jbeetle, I remembered that when I bought the Peperomia at Home Depot the tag just said "Peperomia". I found the type online though and I'll look again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kyle,

A small amout around the water is java moss and its been there since January. It hasn't spread but it hasn't died. So I guess it's ok :lol:

The cf's are made by Coralife and yes the fixture with S&H is around $150.00. This is my "showcase" display (until I finish my 125 gallon tank that is) and I liked the look of the manufactured hood for the cf's on it.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
I think they will come down in price soon, we will just have to see. I like the screw in ones for smaller tanks.

Leif said:
Kyle,

A small amout around the water is java moss and its been there since January. It hasn't spread but it hasn't died. So I guess it's ok :lol:

The cf's are made by Coralife and yes the fixture with S&H is around $150.00. This is my "showcase" display (until I finish my 125 gallon tank that is) and I liked the look of the manufactured hood for the cf's on it.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
That is a good price!

I am convinced shoplights with good bulbs in them are the best for the money. I can get the fixture, and bulbs for $22 at lowes. Broms are doing well under them, and as are the rest of the plants.

tkavan01 said:
hey kyle, i bought a 65w coralife CF for 71 dollars with the little leg stands from this site
http://secure.microbyte.net/virtual/webaquatics/onlinestore/detail.cfm?ID=CL53004&storeid=1
it was a sweet deal if u ask me and my java moss has taken off a million miles an hour since i started using it...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is a good price. I didn't see anywhere in the description that it had a built in fan on it though. That is pretty important with CF's since they produce so much heat. It extends bulb and ballast life. It's aslo the reason why their is such a price swing between fixtures.

Regular flourescent works well also, I have that over my other tanks.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
With the lifters it would not be a issue, but they are extra I think.

Leif said:
That is a good price. I didn't see anywhere in the description that it had a built in fan on it though. That is pretty important with CF's since they produce so much heat. It extends bulb and ballast life. It's aslo the reason why their is such a price swing between fixtures.

Regular flourescent works well also, I have that over my other tanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The lifters (spacers) help keep the tank cooler, but not the bulbs and ballast. The Corallife CF I have has two fans. One blows air into one side of the fixture and the other pulls it out the other side virtually eliminating heat build-up around the ballast and lights.

Anyway, I was just pointing out why the pricing was different for different CF fixtures. They aren't all the same and you get what you pay for. With the fans you MIGHT save in the long run on bulbs (not cheap) and ballasts.

That being said, you could easily add a fan or two to the less expensive CF's. I know you are familiar with that Kyle :)

And also, as Kyle pointed out before, CF's for the most part are not really necessary. This one on the tank is the only one I'm going to have, all the rest will be regular flourescent. I too have a bottom sewn into my pocket..... :( sniff

1 - 20 of 20 Posts