Dendroboard banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I have the possibility of buy 3 species of Hypsiboas; Hypsiboas boans, Hypsiboas cinarescens and Hypsiboas geographicus.
Do you know which specie is more easy for start with Hypsiboas family?
The chosen specie going to live in a great terrarium (approximately 1 meter x 50 cm x 1,70 cm).
Mi intention is breeding the specie.
They're WC.
Good-bye.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I had a group that was purchased as Hypsiboas geographicus, but I believe they were H. crepitans. They were relatively hardy and definitely beautiful, and I believe care would be very similar to H. geographicus. If you want to do a little more research on them, try emailing Mike Novy (rainforestjunkys.com). I haven't kept the other species, but I believe Justin Bailey has H. boans and may have had some luck breeding them, you could try PM'ing him. If I were going to be choosing by appearance alone, the Hypsiboas cinarescens would be the easy choice, kind of look like H. punctata or some of the Boophis sp. that were imported earlier in the year. Good luck with some amazing choices...and keep us updated!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try to send a email to Mike Novy (rainforestjunkys.com) and I will tell you that he said me.
I like the three species, but I have a special attention for Hypsiboas boans. My contact of Hamm said me that in Europe is more frequently see Hypsiboas boans, he said me that Hypsiboas cinarescens and geographica are rare species in importations, for this reason I'm not safe.
Jkooiman thank you very much for the links.
Bb.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hypsiboas boans is certainly imported more than the other species. Personally, the H.cinarescens, looks very interesting. ;) JVK

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi.
No, Hypsiboas cinarescens (Hyla granosa) and Hypsiboas punctatus (Hyla punctata) are different species.
I love Hypsiboas boans too, but in the future I want to have the 3 species, and my contact said me that Hypsiboas boans is more easy to found that the others species. For this reason I prefer H. geographicus or cinarescens.
I will want to know if all Hypsiboas make sand nests too.

Daniel.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hi.
No, Hypsiboas cinarescens (Hyla granosa) and Hypsiboas punctatus (Hyla punctata) are different species.
I love Hypsiboas boans too, but in the future I want to have the 3 species, and my contact said me that Hypsiboas boans is more easy to found that the others species. For this reason I prefer H. geographicus or cinarescens.
I will want to know if all Hypsiboas make sand nests too.

Daniel.
After some internet searches I'm understanding they are separate. However, Hyla punctata has a "reputation" as "being delicate." But we know how that works....:cool: Whatever the case, keep them clean and ventilated, and you'll just have to figure out behavioral/feeding/climate conditions on observation from there.
As far as breeding behavior, I have no idea if all Hypsiboas breed in pits. I'm sure some "clades" do, but you will have to search that out. I doubt the whole genus breeds that way, but maybe they do. Here's some images of H. cinarescens via Dick Bartlett I was looking at today. Good luck! JVK

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.262305370485699.59206.100001187142229&type=1

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.252748361441400.57658.100001187142229&type=1...and Hypsiboas punctatus

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi!
I will wait to the next Terraristika Hamm, because my contact said me that the good importations are in March.
But, I've bought 4 Dendropsophus marmoratus (Hyla marmorata). They're very nice and beautiful. Even a male called.
In the next fair I tell you something.
Good bye.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts