Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own and use zoomeds. I know for a fact that ff's escape through the cracks of the door.

I am doing 2 builds, 1 for a family member and one for a friend. Their tanks are exos.

My questions are;

1. Can the ff's escape thru the top screen? (Glass cover doesn't cover it all) so if they can escape, what should i do for that 1 inch gap? My zoomeds i had the pieces cut myself so its completely covered.

2. Can the ff's escape thru the space around and between the doors? The spacing looks pretty tight. I just need to know if i need to silicone the cracks then slice it open with a razer.

3) are there any other spots that need ff proofing? The vent in the front seems pretty ff proof..

Thanks in advance, i appreciate the help :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I own and use zoomeds. I know for a fact that ff's escape through the cracks of the door.

I am doing 2 builds, 1 for a family member and one for a friend. Their tanks are exos.

My questions are;

1. Can the ff's escape thru the top screen? (Glass cover doesn't cover it all) so if they can escape, what should i do for that 1 inch gap? My zoomeds i had the pieces cut myself so its completely covered.
i would remove the screen top all together and just silicon a 1/4'' or so thick piece of glass leaving about 1- 2'' gap at the back and make a vent. this is what i did. for the vent i used some window screen(not metal) and made a frame out of an old Rubbermaid tub lid and silicone it into place.
QUOTE]

·
Registered
835 Posts
1. Can the ff's escape thru the top screen? (Glass cover doesn't cover it all) so if they can escape, what should i do for that 1 inch gap? My zoomeds i had the pieces cut myself so its completely covered. most flyies cant escape the screen top

2. Can the ff's escape thru the space around and between the doors? The spacing looks pretty tight. I just need to know if i need to silicone the cracks then slice it open with a razer. depending on how they were built they can escape from the side and the middle of the door, adding a thin silicone does the trick

3) are there any other spots that need ff proofing? The vent in the front seems pretty ff proof..you need to seal up or add some type of screen blocking the front vent as flies can easily crawl through them.

Thanks in advance, i appreciate the help :)
Hope full this helps

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think ill cover the 1 inch gap with some landscapers mesh or that no see um screen. Just in case..

As for the doors, these new exos seem very snug. I trapped a fruit fly in a soda cap and put it over the main gap where the doors open and they cant get out. Its not even wide enough for a credit card to fit through so i think im good there, (good for u exo lol)

As for the vent, ty for letting me know they can get through it. ive yet to try for myself to see of ff's can actually get through. but once i take that little vent piece out, I'm sure ill be able to tell if its ff proof. Might add some landscapers mesh to it like i did for my zoomeds if it needs it.

Thank you both for your help.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just built a zoomed. I am gathering that ff escape the door cracks on them. What do you do to prevent it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
239 Posts
One of the things you can do to midigate the issue of escapee ff's is to encourage them to stay inside the tank(s) by keeping a tiny bit dried fruit inside -think half or quarter of a raisin. As it ferments it'll keep them attracted to the spot rather exploring

1 - 7 of 7 Posts