Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get luecs and im tring to decide how many. I was thinking a pair but i noticed that alot of people get three instead of two, is there a reason other than most people sell 3 for $100 which is a nice even number. Any insite would be very helpfull. Furthermore, my tank is a 25 Extra high which is pretty much just two 10 gal on top of eachother. Is it ok to put three luecs in there?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
13,229 Posts
My first frogs, and I went with 4 in a 20gal high. 3-4 should be fine. I did lose one early, but at first I thought I had 2 pairs. I now have 2 females and a male. Not breeding yet, but I hope they do soon.

furizzl said:
I wanted to get luecs and im tring to decide how many. I was thinking a pair but i noticed that alot of people get three instead of two, is there a reason other than most people sell 3 for $100 which is a nice even number. Any insite would be very helpfull. Furthermore, my tank is a 25 Extra high which is pretty much just two 10 gal on top of eachother. Is it ok to put three luecs in there?

Thanks,

·
Registered
639 Posts
I can't speak for everyone but the reason I buy frogs in 3's is to have greater odds at purchasing a pair. They are a nice starter frog and I agree that 3-4 should be fine in a 20.

TonyT

·
Registered
170 Posts
i got 3 in from black jungle last week and they're fat and active, not shy at all and get along fine. there also about an inch which isnt bad, great color to. they told me on the board they might start calling to so hopefully theres a pair. yeah im putting mine in a 20h also.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with TonyT, that I used to buy juveniles in groups of threes for greater odds of a pair. Knowing that I was going to be moving quickly in the frog hobby, I made plans of breeding for the future. So if you are getting the frogs for possible future breeding purposes, then I suggest to go with 3 or 4.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If i get three and it happens to be 1 male and to females do i have to worry about territorial dispuits? or what if i get two males and a female or three of the same sex? Do i have to worry about this?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Depending on what type of frogs we are talking about, If I had a 1.2 I would remove the extra female. With a 2.1 I would leave them alone and see what happens. She may like the competition between the 2 males calling for the her. And with a 0.3 or 3.0 I would try and trade for one or the other. Because no matter what anyone says 2 males won't breed nor will 2 females ;). Right Ben ;)

Hope this helps some,
TonyT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts