Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. Ive been creeping these forums for almost 6 months now and i finally started working on my first dart viv. This build is for a 12x12x18 Zoomed.

I Currently have a 1.5" (+Height of Egg crate) tall false bottom, with another raised up layer that is also eggcrate wrapped in screen. (Every level that will contain substrate will have plenty of drainage).

Three pieces of cypress are GS'd in to the background.

I plan to use the eggcrate that is attached to the back wall as extra support for a clay background. I have read Pumilo's post on clay backgrounds and had a few questions. Where do i go about getting the bentonite powder? and Im assuming an art store of some sort would carry the Redart clay? From there i will mix in ground up sphag and coco fiber up to about 25% to maintain the cohesive properties of the clay mixture.

Will the eggrate "scaffolding" be a good idea? or completely unnecessary?

Other than that how does the depth of the cage look? I can easily adjust/redo a lot of whats already been done so any feedback would be great.

I plan to have all the hardscape constructed before the end of the month so i can plant and have things growing/ cultures established before the Sacramento Reptile show october 29th.

Attachments

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'm personally new here too but I've been setting up tanks of all sorts for a while now. I think your scaffolding will help you out quite a bit. I've been reading of people whos clay back ground fall off. Your support might help with this. Everything else looks good so far. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and since its your tank, you can judge for yourself. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
i keep meaning to comment on this build but getting interrupted - I really really like the arrangement of your wood. It looks great.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Diggenem - I got them at a local store of mine. The East Bay Vivarium in Berkeley, CA. I had been there a few times digging around their cypress pieces to find just the right ones. The place is expensive, but atleast i know exactly what im gettting. I also got this tank used from there for half the price of new retail.

@BethInAK - Thanks!:D I spent quite a long time trying to figure out how to build depth in to the tank, i have a ton of pics on my comp that i took of me proping/holding the wood in different positions.

Im hoping to have some time next week to silicone the GS, order ABG from Josh's frogs as well as buy some leaf litter (if i cant find anything more local to use).

Does anyone know if the plant birds-of-paradise are safe in a viv?

I literally have hundreds of these things in my backyard and could easily cut/soak/clean/bake some leaves to create some leaf litter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts