Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!!

I'm new here, just got my first Dendro the other day, D. azureus. I've been interested in dendros ever since I interned at the NAIB last year. I had the privledge of working along side Jason in the back taking care of the frogs. I spent the majority of my time there caring for the dendros and falling in love with these beautiful frogs. I had an awesome time getting to watch the frogs from the moment i removed the eggs from the cage to the time i got to move the froglets into their new homes.
I aquired my new frog from a friend at work, at the moment my single azureus is doing great, hunting for food all day, living with my day gecko and red eye tree frog at the moment. I'll post pics of the tank when i get more time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here's some pics!

D. azureus

Madagascar day gecko

Red eye tree frog

Here's a pic of the whole tank. I have to replace one of the broms, it's dead, but the guy i get mine from is in new england, so it's probably too cold to ship right now. i'm replacing the dish i have as a pond with some 2" smooth rocks so the dendro doesn't try to go swimming. my gecko and red eye are extremely lazy so i usually have a 4" food dish in there with crickets in it for them to eat out of because they both refuse to chase a cricket even if it jumps right in front of them. The dendro's hut in underneath the ghost wood, he seems to like it there.

also, i'm having some trouble getting the sphagnum moss to actually grow, i've had a piece sitting on the bark peice that is angled down (it acts as a waterfall and allows water to flow down it into the pool). Any ideas?

Some quick tank info, 29 gallon, false bottom setup, small fountain pump buried in the back corner behind the bark wall to pump for the waterfall. Currently using 55 watt PC reptile 7% UVB bulb.

·
Registered
328 Posts
are they all in the same tank? if so, it's usually not recomended to mix, especially with your very first darts. Looks nice though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would not keep a dart in a viv with a red eye and day gecko. don't day geckos need higher temps then darts? and I'd be scared if there was a frog many times bigger than me in the same cage.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the two frogs are actually very close in size, also the red eye is nocturnal so it isn't out when the dart is. also the gecko is one of the smaller species so it won't get much larger. also, the cage temp is generally around 75-80, the only heat source is the PC light. all the animals look very confortable in the environment. the frog is very active, doing quite well. i know it's not usually recommended to mix, but if all goes well i will set up a dart frog setup with an extra 20 i have laying around.
yes, this is my first dart, but i have had a lot of experience caring for them when i interned at the NAIB. i feel very confident i can care for the frog and i believe it will do just fine it the current habitat. none of the animals have ever bothered eachother, and the dart seems to be doing very well. if something suddenly happens, i do have a quarentine cage i can get it in quickly.
thanks for the replys and concerns thou.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sphagnum

sphagnum will only grow in quite bright conditions on peat substrate and it needs to be kept wet as opposed to just humid. chances are that if coditions are right for the sphagnum they wont be for other plants in the viv unless they are specific bog plants in which case it would be to weet for a green anole. if you kept them all in different tanks then you could make a boggier one for the azureus with sphagnum and other bog plants. Also i dont want to cause offense but none of the animals in that tank have ranges which overlap each other in the wild so i wouldnt recommend keeping them all in one tank anyway.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Ive got some spaghum coming back to life, its coming quite quickly to, many new heads each day. Have it growing in a plastic shoebox under a flourescent light until my next viv is ready for the moss. I think it would be ok to use spaghum with CF's but doubt normal flouro's would be ok.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
willgr1 said:
the two frogs are actually very close in size, also the red eye is nocturnal so it isn't out when the dart is. also the gecko is one of the smaller species so it won't get much larger.
Red-eyed tree frogs can attain 3-3.5" in length as adults. I don't think any dart frog can attain this size, so I think you are on the right track about putting it in another tnak. Plus, when you do that, you can get another azureus of opposite sex and start breeding them. As for the Phelsuma, what species is it? It appears to be Phelsuma madagascariensis grandis, which is one of the (if not the) largest species of Phelsuma.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just cleared out my 20H!! i'll start setting that up as a dart viv. soon, the frog is doing great in his current set up for the mean time.

The gecko i have had for about 6 months, it's grown maybe a quarter of an inch in that time. He's roughly 4 inches. not a giant, that i know, i don't know the exact species, i'm still trying to find that out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.