Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i went out and bought a point and shoot today so i thought i'd share a "in progress" shot of the new rebuild for my man creek trio. this is also the tank i was referring to in my wanted ad for the ferns, broms, and other stuff.(if you happened to see that ;))

this is a single piece of GS that i carved (for days) and finished with drylok (white, tinted with acrylic)

making more vines tonight for the left side of the tank and a few for farther forward, to create more depth.

james

·
Registered
725 Posts
This is going to be epic man! that background looks incredible! You like the drylok method??

What camera did u end up getting?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Is the wood carved great stuff too, or is it real wood? If its great stuff, bravo.

Even if it is real wood, bravo on the rock-work, it also looks quite realistic.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the wood is real ;) the vines are rope (that was an pain in the @ss as well, but they turned out ok.)

james

·
Registered
169 Posts
Me likey. Nice work, uber pro. What's your substrate gona be? Is it staying gravel?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Looks awesome James! I think this tank would look great with minimal plants. Man, for a second I though you carved the wood and vines also :p

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks awesome James! I think this tank would look great with minimal plants. Man, for a second I though you carved the wood and vines also :p
that would have been cool :D i like to think after nearly 20 years of formal and informal training in the arts, i do pretty well with this sort of thing, but sculpture hasnt been something i truly excel at. i doubt i could have faked the wood no matter how much work i did.

i will say that i paid in flesh for the wood though. i went on the driftwood hunt and came back absolutely covered head to toe in chigger bites.

james

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
silicone, and fine ground coco.

i used aluminum wire (meticulously pushed through the center of the rope) to give the roots some form, and allow myself to articulate them however i see fit. then i used sewing thread to individually connect all the parts together (each piece was melted at each end encasing the wire) i used a GENEROUS portion of silicone and (since i didnt have gloves) i used my hand to evenly coat the rope, which i then covered in the coco fiber. i used a blow torch to remove the hair like fibers.

james

·
Registered
359 Posts
Like it. Rated, subscribed.
Pls show more :)

·
Registered
725 Posts
can't wait to see it with plants. btw, what are your plans in terms of plants for this tank?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Amazing tank. It looks very nice James! Can't wait to see it planted. Subbed.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts