Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting the build of my 29 gal viv that is still getting tweaked. Its mostly built, but still have some questions, and I am hoping for some good suggestions. First I'll post the pictures and what I have done so far in the build. Also I just want to thank the community on dendroboard for all the help and ideas that you have provided me and many others. I would never have been able to build any viv without this forum. THANK YOU ALL!
Heres the start!

Laid down a layer of silicon, followed by great stuff

I used a combination of different wood, including cork, mopany, cyprus, and treefern. I cover the greatstuff with more silicon and cocofiber and moss.

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo74/gsuherp08/2011-11-24124755.jpg
One cool thing I found were the black triangles you see.(the pictures are upside down, the triangles are on the bottom). I used them as transitions from water area to land. I got them at Ace Hardware and they were made to go into gutters, and were fairly cheap. I then used hydroballs, and eggcrate/screen to create my drainage layer. For the substrate I used ABG mix and mixed in some leaf litter. I also added some orchid moss I found at lowes that was still green and growing.

I also have a water fall in the center. I just used a power head I had and covered it in gravel and ran the tubbing behind the wood. Is working well, and is easily accessed if I need to. I have found that simple waterfalls are usually better.
I will upload some New pictures tonight with some cutting I have planted and I added more leaf litter. Everything is growing nicely so far, but I haven't added any frogs yet, because I still have concerns. First is I am using a screen top at the moment, but would like to make a plastic or glass top in order to keep humidity higher. This then also raises another concern which is ventilation. I have looked at some of the other posts on the forum dealing with this issue, but wanted to see if anyone had any suggesting for this type tank. Do I need 2 fans, one blowing fresh air in and one blowing out, or just 1? Another question I have is which type of dart would do best in here. I have made sure there are plenty of hides, and vertical space. Ground space seems ok, but the water fall does take up alot of room. Thank you all in advance for your help.:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
564 Posts
First is I am using a screen top at the moment, but would like to make a plastic or glass top in order to keep humidity higher. This then also raises another concern which is ventilation. I have looked at some of the other posts on the forum dealing with this issue, but wanted to see if anyone had any suggesting for this type tank. Do I need 2 fans, one blowing fresh air in and one blowing out, or just 1? Another question I have is which type of dart would do best in here. I have made sure there are plenty of hides, and vertical space. Ground space seems ok, but the water fall does take up alot of room. Thank you all in advance for your help.:)
You'll want to go to a hardware or glass shop and get a piece cut to serve as the lid. Don't use plastic. Search "living hinge" if you'd like to make it 2 pieces as opposed to one solid piece.

As far as ventilation goes, you won't want to have fans blowing air from the outside of the tank in, and then back out. All that will do is pull dry air from the room into the tank and lower the humidity that you're trying to keep high.

You can add passive ventilation by including a small screened portion on top of the tank. I usually purchase a window screen kit and make a 1" screen across the entire length of the tank. In order to have higher control on passive ventilation I also have clear plastic cardstock that fits within the screen area to block it if necessary. Just make sure your screen is bug netting or something similar so fruit flies don't escape.

If you want internal circulation you'd need to wire some PC fans inside of the tank that would only circulate tank air and not alter the humidity. There's some good how-to's on here as well.

Nice lookin tank!

Edit: I noticed your link in the 2nd post, so I'm thinking you've got that part figured out. That's another option in lieu of an internal fan.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. I like the screen idea, I think it would look better, and probably easier. I have also been considering the idea of filling in the water portion more with gravel in order to have more floor space. Figured I could lay down some live moss sheets or java moss on top of the gravel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts