Dendroboard banner

24x36 benedicta shucushuyacu enclosure

3K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  JasonE 
#1 · (Edited)
My other thread is buried and the build log is scattered through the comments so I thought I'd put up a new thread with the finished vivarium. I'll include my build pics.

Rectangle Wood Road surface Flooring Art

Automotive tire Wood Road surface Asphalt Bumper

Wood Trunk Seafood Art Twig

Plant Wood Trunk World Art

Plant Branch Wood Twig Natural material

Automotive tire Wood Twig Motor vehicle Bumper

Wood Water Metal Soil Event

Wood World Art Sculpture Trunk

See less See more
#3 ·
BTW, I cannot recommend enough for plant specific fungal inoculations for new tanks. I got mine from Houston Frogs. I'm not sure if anyone else is selling them. I get amazing plant growth extremely quickly. My broms are already latching in. My marcgravia cutting is already rooted and clinging to the wood. Noticeably faster plant growth with this stuff.

#8 ·
Oh they're one of the shyest frogs I've dealt with but I still see them out and about all day long. But they're quick to hide and faster than any other frog I've kept.

How you set up their enclosure has the most effect on how often you see your frogs.

#16 ·
Oh they're one of the shyest frogs I've dealt with...
Walking this statement back. My previous experience with these were based on them living in a 20g vertical conversion and their growout tank this time around. As soon as they got into the 36" tall tank, they're out all the time. I see them whenever I'm in my office. Not bold but definitely not as elusive as I thought before this.

#18 ·
I love comments like this. It is one thing for a person to say "my X are shy in this viv" but to track the same specimens with the same keeper across different vivs really helps to narrow down what the factors are that contribute to boldness.

What was the growout viv like?
12x12x18" There were some ghost wood pieces for them to climb on and enough plants to give them cover. They still only came out long enough to eat and then it was back to the leaves. I caught my oldest one climbing once or twice.

I've always thought a big part of boldness is how you build the enclosure. I'm leaning hard into that and enclosure size being a huge part in the frequency you see your frogs.

They have 28-30" of height and they were at the top jumping and banging the top corners. And trying to Spider-man across the glass top. They learned quickly they're not tree frogs. I wish there was some way to give them 6' of height.

#19 ·
I wish there was some way to give them 6' of height
Which room in your house do you use the least, and how hard would it be to install a floor drain?

More practically speaking, though, @kimcmich 's big viv is almost that tall.

#10 · (Edited)
When it comes to no-see-um mesh, it can be hard to find it in 1-3 yard packs. But just doing a simple google search I found a 60" roll of it. I had to buy 25' of it so I've had the same roll for 10 years at this point. The glass is 1/4" glass, cut by my local glass shop.

Edit: Here's a 5 yard pack from Amazon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.