Dendroboard banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yep, it doesn't seem too hard to trim, just maybe hard to trim so I like how it looks..... XD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
That as well as trimming it while fighting angles from hardscape in the way. I had been dealing with that for a week haha. I've gotten away from trimming with a blade and just peeling it back. Takes off more, but I prefer the texture it leaves behind, seems more natural.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
What do you mean by peeling it back - like with your fingers, or? The hardscape issue is the biggest reason the last big piece of cork isn't in there yet! I don't think I'll escape trimming around it completely, but, maybe I can keep it to a minimum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
Yeah, I grab a nub of the foam and pull it back and peel off chunks. It provides a nice texture and randomizes the finish so that it doesn't look carved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'll try that where the exact final shape isn't too important to my plans! Hopefully I'll get back out there today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
FYI - the third can of GS foam I picked up at Home Depot the other day had a new design of spray nozzle on it, supposedly restartable (although "restart is not guaranteed"), we'll see about that. But even if the restart fails, it is SO MUCH EASIER to control and work with - it only sprays as long as you're spraying and doesn't continue to foam out of the end of the nozzle, and has a narrower, more precise tip. Trade off is it's easier to accidentally put down a really narrow line, not always very desirable.

Halfway through today, gives a good idea of the overall shape of the waterfall area:

295396


You can see a few places where my carving revealed the egg crate, and the gaps around the lower plant pot. Can also somewhat see how I piled a bunch of carved off bits under the right side of the fall to fill it in some. Was originally thinking of just spraying foam into the whole space, but realized that would be a big waste of foam and take forever to cure properly, so I piled up some pieces, braced them with a bit of egg crate, and foamed them into place. (would have been easier if they didn't fiercely static to everything!)

Overall view from today's work:

295397


295398


I peeled and pried a lot more foam than I cut. My thumbnails are soorreee haha. Worth it though!! XD

The groove around the small piece of cork above the waterfall is where I intend to install the water hose. Will probably adhere it with black silicone after painting the GS with drylock.

A bit more carving and I can install the central cork piece; after I install the central cork piece and carve up the foam from that I can (let everything cure thoroughly and) start painting!

Also realized it's going to be a bear to get my false bottom in. Might have to cut it into more pieces than I planned to and zip tie it all in place. I guess that'd be one advantage of leca....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
One thing that would help when it comes to peeling is to slice into it slightly so you can get past the thicker 'smooth' layer. Once there is the initial slice you can peel everything back, just don't cut deep or the slice will guide the direction of how it breaks when you peel it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
You can use pliers as well to trim. Save your fingernails.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yep, tons of slicing and peeling and using a variety of tools.

One problem I'm encountering is not being able to get it smooth in certain areas, notably where I can't shave it further down because it's in the egg crate supports, I have tried respraying and carving more but each layer just makes it patchier. Any suggestions? Maybe a filler that I can apply safely on top of the GS and under drylock? Ultimately most of these areas are probably going to have a coat of silicone, possibly with a bit of fluval worked into it, so it may not matter too much but it's awfully rough to get a solid coat of drylock so far.

Back later with pics!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Whoops, didn't make it back with the photos. And I thought I put some DSLR pictures on flickr of the setup with all the pieces installed? apparently not. Oh well, tablet photos will have to be good enough.

This happens to be my favorite cork feature in the whole tank. It's in the center of the big piece of cork on the back wall:
295439

The backside is thoroughly siliconed, even though you can see light through it. :)

Last DSLR shot I have of the tank:
295440


And a couple shots from today (tablet camera):

295441


295442


This is the piece I've been having trouble with the texture. Hopefully enough coats of drylock will be good enough, if not I guess I will have to look for something else:
295443


I also have a few pieces of ghost wood that I haven't thought of anything good to do with yet. Any place I try placing them just looks busy :/

295444


Open to suggestions though.

Tomorrow hopefully I clean up, vacuum, and start painting!
 
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Top