Dendroboard banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

posted below are the pictures of my first ever attempted dart frog enclosure. I hope to get some feedback from the community. I did the custom background route, at least to the best of my ability. The plant selection was not ideal but I did the best I could as a first timer. I ended up putting in 5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella' 's in the enclosure. Almost all of the wood i used was Malaysian driftwood. The reason I'm posting is for some critical feedback. Is there anything I should have done different. Does anyone have any suggestions I could implement to improve the enclosure.

Thank you and much appreciated. I apologize I do not have step by step photos. This process to get to a finished(at least i think its finished) enclosure has been much more work than I could have imagined when i purchased the "complete dart frog kit". Thank you and please leave some feedback

Attachments

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Looks like it should grow in nicely. Replace the moss with lots of leaf litter. Moss is not good for frogs as it can hold too much moisture and ultimately cause foot rot.

I also wonder if a 24” is a bit too small for 5 tincs. I think most people would house a couple or maybe 3 in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dang thank you guys for the feedback. I loved the look of the moss but if it can cause foot rot then i will have to remove it. So 5 tincs in that size tank is too many ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also could i put the leaf litter on top of the moss or should i just remove the moss completely ?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes, I agree, replace moss with leaf litter and I think two frogs would be ideal for that space. Five is a lot. Otherwise, it looks nice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The moss looks so nice i hae to take it all out. I thought moss was plentiful in the jungle ?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Everything @ fishingguy12345 said..

Btw it should never be about how many frogs can fit a tank, but how you design a tank for a species of frogs that live up to 30 years when talen correct care for. You could easely pile up a 5 or even 100 frogs in a tank, but the result will always be the same..

In the longrong, Tinctorius can olny be kept succesfully in pairs or at max 2.1 since these are very territorial frogs at adult age. Normaly Tinctorius have about 3-10m² territory, which can never be recreated in captivity..

Moss is never a good substrate for any species of pdf.
To give you an idea of Tinctorius in situ :

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey guys trying to take all the great advice here. So i got some oak leaf litter and have done my best to get rid of the moss which is not on logs or branches, or anything of the like. I spread the oak leaf litter across the floor of the terrarium although i do have a layer of sphagnum moss under the leaf litter. My substrate layering is as follows. I completely followed the basics of josh's frogs guides. I have the clay false bottom, followed by a substrate barrier, then the ABG mix, followed by a layer of sphagnum as josh's frogs suggests. I am a complete beginner so please be kind. I thought... that 5 tincs would be okay based on the dart frog kit i purchased from josh's frogs. However from listening to others it appears 5 tincs is one too many. I decided to go to a reptile expo and hope that maybe there I can trade 2 or 3 tincs or maybe just give them away to someone. Not sure what to do at the moment. Here are a few shots with the removed moss and added leaf litter.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,799 Posts
I decided to go to a reptile expo and hope that maybe there I can trade 2 or 3 tincs
Many expos do not allow carry in animals. Check on that before you attend. Also, I don't know of any quality vendors who would even listen to trade offers from random people at a show, if that's what you had in mind.

·
Registered
174 Posts
It looked like your tincs are pretty young from the photos. As suggested above you can keep 5 in there while they are still froglets. I would advise against getting rid of them at this stage. I would wait until they can be sexed then move or trade the frogs so that you have a pair or a 2.1 trio.

If you get rid of the frogs now you could end up with 2 or 3 females then you will have to further whittle down till you have a single frog. Keeping the 5 frogs until they can be sexed you will have a much better chance of getting a pair. That being said you will definitely have to keep an eye out for any aggression once they start to reach sexual maturity.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts