Dendroboard banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting this question out there because I have not found the right thread asking this important question with a relevant date. If you know of one already existing please feel free to direct me.

Over the past years 24/7 light cycles LEDs have been introduced to the market with great demand despite the price. As a recent owner of the Finnex Planted 24/7 I must say it gives off beautiful colors and successful growth, none of my plants were delicates though.
With this light comes a 24hr light cycle where it adds moon light at night. Moon light is at 4000k. Growing up I'm used to 12/12 or other various light cycles but they all include lights off. At some point we all need darkness to rest however these lights do not shut off.
Has anybody conducted any lighting research into the benefits of adding the moon light spectrum to their DF or planted terrarium?

·
Super Moderator
3,963 Posts
I've not conducted "research" into this matter. I'll bet a heck of a lot of market research was conducted by lighting sellers, though.

We have some incredibly knowledgeable plant gurus here, so I hope they jump in to put me in my place, but I'm going to go out on a limb and assert that night lighting cycles have no measurable benefits on frogs or on plants.

I do use a dimming light (AI Prime) on one of my vivs, and the ramping feature sure is nice to look at. Again, my plants and animals don't seem affected one way or the other.

I run a moon simulator on my reef tank (Neptune Apex moonlights) which actually mirrors the phase of the moon (adjusts timing and intensity). Again, no noticeable effect -- not that I expected one, since I bought it 'cause it is cool.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts