Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I've been planning a big show tank with water feature and all but decided I need to go ahead and set up a quick one for my impulsive frog buying.

Went to calloway's and petco and got some cheap "terrarium plants" most of them are unlabeled so I have no idea what they are.

Don't know if this one will make it but looks cool

Tilly with bloom

uknown but cool plant.

large tilly. about as big as my hand.

another cool but unknown

yet another unknown

Fern

unknown again. looks like a brom but doesn't hold water

uknown...again

This was listed as sheet moss. unfortunate after sterilizing in bleach solution it left behind bright green water making me this it had been dyed. Guess I wont be using it. Oh well it was free.

Sheet moss left this

clay background with stick

Had a full mock up picture but guess it didn't save. I'll post it tomorrow. Clay is really dark. lesson learned a little big of iron oxide goes a long way.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Good shot of the false bottom. Fairly deep pond area. Not sure How I'm going to dress up the pond to make it frog safe.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So apparently I was a bit ambitious for a vert. Gotta remember there's not a lot of floor space. Only a few of my plants fit in there.

Drilled out one of the knots on my wood and stuffed a brom in there, there's another brom in the top left that's hard to see in the pics due to lighting.

Found this round chunk of wood at my local craft store. I have a buddy cutting it up into smaller circles and if he does it right I should be able to push about 5 pieces into the back to make shelves for frogs to climb on.

This is my first clay tank so I'm hoping it holds up. I left it laying down for 24 hours. Just set it up right and misted very lightly. Will probably only mist lightly for the next week or so. Also I only used a thin layer of clay and am having trouble supporting mounted plants. I had to add a bit to some spots to make it thick enough to put toothpicks in.

Just waiting on my vert kit and some abg mix and I'll button this thing up. Suggestions are always welcome. I'm thinkin it could use more plants but I have no idea where or how to get them in there. Gonna put some film cans in and try to squeeze in some jungle pods.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Looking good so far. LoL with the iron oxide...I did the same thing, sorry I forgot to tell you that. You are going to want to add clay under your ledges so it has some support. You don't want them to sag or fall. But first make sure that wood from the craft store is frog safe, you don't want sap or anything that will hurt the frogs!

Some of those plants will get huge, if you want some clippings to cover the background( the one with the little purple flowers)and some moss l can hook you up...

Casper

·
Registered
681 Posts
Also... those tilly's will rot on the clay, need to mount those on wood or tree fern panels. And if that is grape wood it's going to mold like hell. Just a warning...

Casper

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The wood was exoterra manzita or something along those lines. I have a feeling it's gonna mold but I'm willing to see what happens. Will the broms mold in the clay as well? Not quite sure how I'll mount them now. I suppose a few chunks of treefern pushed into the clay may be a nice break up for the tank since the clay is so black it looks like silicone. I'll definitely take you up on some clippings when I can get back down that way. I wouldn't mind getting some of the pillia if you end up trimming it back.

·
Registered
681 Posts
My broms rot in the clay. You could drill holes in the wood ledges for the broms or use tree fern panels. You could also mount those tilleys on that stick

Casper

·
Registered
681 Posts
I trimmed back the pilea in the man creek Vivarium. It was taking over the tank so I have plenty! This is the one I was talking about...it loves the clay!

Casper

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice. I liked that one. I'll give you a buzz When I can get back down that way. Real life is killing my frogging. $500 car repair bill and still need $700 worth of work. Coulda made so many tanks.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so it's important to note that only misting your clay every few days to let it stabalize only works when you have a front door. I left my viv open awaiting a vert kit so it would be easier to work on and all the clay dried up and fell off. Anyway last night I redid the clay with much less iron oxide and more sphag moss. I also baked my seedpods and wood. All of my supplies have come in so I should be able to finish it up tonight with the exception of drilling holes.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts

unknown again. looks like a brom but doesn't hold water
The first picture I quoted is a fittonia - that one I have grown before and it will grow like a weed

The second is a Sansevieria, they grow quite tall and usually prefer dryer tanks - great for Crested gecko tanks..

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Installed the front door this evening. Nice vert kit from aaafrogs.com. It was packed very well and even came with a piece of insullation foam that will be used in the next viv. Fits well and easy to install. Appears to be built well. Wish I had watched the youtube video first since I completely forgot to seal the aquarium edge. Did my best to seal it without removing the false bottom. We will see what happens it may become a planter.

Siliconed some gravel to the edges of the pond

Woke up Harry to supervise. He was not impressed.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
yes I've forgot to seal that inside lip before as well. One thing you can do is use some great stuff and put a small "bead" of foam around the lip. <not the prettiest, but works. Glad you like the kit.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just stuck the tip of the nozzle down as far as I could and pushed out a huge bead. Seems to be holding this far. Finally finished it last night. This was a very educational build for me since it was my first vert, first clay, first false bottom, and first pond. If anyone uses this as a reference I do have a few tips. 1. Order your vert kit ahead of time. It may make things a bit harder to work on but you will know everything fits right. 2.When making a false bottom hot glue is your friend. Drys quick and waterproof. 3 it's important not to keep your clay to wet if you are going to push wood or pods into it. However you have to keep it moist or it will dry up and fall off. Just feel it with your finger to make sure it is firm but not hard. 4. A little bit of iron oxide goes a long way.

My craft store wood shelf

Had drilled some wood for this brom to be planted in but I couldn't get the right angel. I ended up just using planting wire through the hole I drilled.

Dendropod mounted in the clay

Tilly. Drilled a hole in the wood shelf and hot glued it in there.

Whole tank shot. Overall I'm pretty happy. Plan to add some moss and other accents a little later.

I have a jungle pod on the ground that will be filled with water. It was leaking so I had to apply a layer of silicone to the inside. All that's left now is lighting. Suggestions are welcomed. I'm looking for about a 4ft long t5 fixture that won't burn my house down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts