Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have two 20gal long tanks and was wondering if i should set them up as dart frog tanks are keep them for maybe quarantine tanks instead or go with setting them up for fish these are a couple tanks that been in storage that i was looking to use in my frog room but seem short was thinking about 1 of them for small group of yellow and black walking toads just asking what you guys and gals think cannot decide

·
Registered
835 Posts
I think that this is a decision/choice that only you can make.

Fresh water fish are pretty much plug and play...unless you're doing Discus or something and they wouldn't be going in a 20 long.

While I am new to all of this, I think that you need to be really sure you want PDF's before getting them. I can see Darts being a big chore to someone that wasn't absolutely crazy over them. Either you suffer, or the frogs suffer.

OTOH, if PDF's speak to your soul, then by all means set up a tank, settle it, get the iso's going, work on practice fly cultures, select a breeder or hobbyist to purchase from, and have at it !

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I used to keep my Polypterus in 20 longs, but I usually used taller tanks for freshwater setups. The one problem with 20l vivs is after you do a false-bottom, substrate, etc you have very little usable space. I am sure that they would be fine for quarantine tanks. You might be able to set them up for Melanophrynuscus because I believe they can do without a deep drainage layer but need a relatively deep substrate layer....hopefully someone with more experience with the species will chime in. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Well since you are posting on this forum I will go ahead and say that you should do darts! But really the decision is all yours and you should do what you want. Good luck on the decision. I always have a couple of spare tanks for quarantine purposes, whether for darts or any other animal for that matter.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have my Azures pair in a 20L, since they are more arboreal they will use the floor space. Mine do like to and they are on the background or in hides along the background. It all depends on what type of frogs you want

1 - 7 of 7 Posts