Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Here is a picture of my 20g setup. I still have to add a top layer of leaf litter which I got to go collect from a clean area. I have a fogger system on order which should be in next week along with a couple jewel orchids. I'll also try, and fit in a oak log to add dimension.

I would like to grow moss, and get a nice green carpet of it, but I am not even sure where to start.

The PDF I plan to add is Phyllobates terribilis.

Suggestions are more then welcome!

·
Registered
391 Posts
looks good so far. def. needs leal litter.
terribilis are awesome!
what color you getting?

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Yup, the leaf litter will top if off nicely. I've had some luck growing java moss in a covered 10 gallon with damp/wet-ish clay on the bottom. Then I scrape off an area of clay that has java growing and smoosh it onto something in my tank. It's working out so far.

I've started one with sphagnum too. Hope that works out as well. Then on to some interesting mosses. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hm, yeah I am going to have to try that. I have some extra Java Moss laying around I believe.

Where did you acquire your starter batch of sphagnum? Was it green and alive, or dormant when you got it?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the way sorry for double posting, but the soil mixture I am using for this is mostly peat based, with coco fiber, orchid bark, palm chips, leaf litter, and some dead plants from a previous setup I had mixed in. I'm hoping it'll last a while.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I purchased some live sphagnum a few years back, and, have been able to keep it alive, somehow. That place no longer sells it. I saw a site, recently, that sells live sphagnum. I think I have it bookmarked. I'll go look for it.

Substrate sounds fine. I also add crunched up natural charcoal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I'd appreciate that.

I'll have to go looking around your threads for a picture of that setup with the sphagnum. To get some ideas.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Ok I checked the place I got mine, and, it appears they have it in stock again. When I got it, it was a large amount stuffed in a bag. It appears that it's being sold as several strands, now. (eta: as I recall, the strands of moss are large)
Live Sphagnum Moss

This place has green and also red sphagnum for sale. Carnivorous Plants for Sale | Carnivorous Plant Nursery

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the links! I'll have to try ordering some and give it a shot. Who knows it might actually grow.......:D

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
The sphag in the small terrarium tries to outgrow the vines. So, I harvest it when it's getting too obnoxious and toss it into the 10 gallon. My sphagnum is much smaller and thinner than what I got from the vendor. Here are some shots of the set up. I have it sitting under a window for light.

100_1590.jpg

100_1595.jpg

100_1610.jpg

·
Registered
708 Posts
Good work so far. The moss will be a nice edition to the tank, do you plan on having it grow up the cork background as well?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Good work so far. The moss will be a nice edition to the tank, do you plan on having it grow up the cork background as well?
I'd just like to hijack this post momentarily to point out I can't spell. And where did the edit button go?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The sphag in the small terrarium tries to outgrow the vines. So, I harvest it when it's getting too obnoxious and toss it into the 10 gallon. My sphagnum is much smaller and thinner than what I got from the vendor. Here are some shots of the set up. I have it sitting under a window for light.
Oh interesting. The soil is pretty saturated I see. I am definitely going to pick some up. I just wonder if the soil would be moist enough in my setup for it to grow.

Now that you mention it the background isn't corkbark. It's live oak bark. It actually holds up pretty well.

That would be pretty interesting having the moss growing on the background. Right now I would be happy for it to grow at all. Whether it is on the background, or the substrate.

On another note I added a log, and it just got done raining here so I went out, and got a full bag of leaf litter for it. Hopefully I got some springtails with it. I'll post a picture after I add the leaves.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Oh interesting. The soil is pretty saturated I see. I am definitely going to pick some up. I just wonder if the soil would be moist enough in my setup for it to grow.

snip...
It really needs humidity and light more than damp substrate. It will grow without any substrate. Just stick it somewhere humid with light (not too close to the light or the ends will burn) and it should grow. Be sure to save some in another container to get your own stash growing :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It really needs humidity and light more than damp substrate. It will grow without any substrate. Just stick it somewhere humid with light (not too close to the light or the ends will burn) and it should grow. Be sure to save some in another container to get your own stash growing :D

Thanks for the info.:D

Here are a couple updated pictures. Don't mind the sticky that says the price I just never got around to removing it lol.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quick question. I'm of course going to let the vivarium settle, and I'm going to get a good colony of FF going, but when I get the frogs (which are probably going to be froglets still) should I set them up in like a simple 10g, or tub, with sphagnum, and maybe a small pothos until they mature some more to make sure they all get enough food?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts