Dendroboard banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondring what you guys like better 20g or 10g verts. I like the idea of giving the frogs more room in the 20s and more space to watch them in. But its alot easyer to fill and growin a 10 with plants.

G

·
I like 10 verts better, never needed 20's. My thumbnails are usually kept 1.1 or 2.1 and I think a 10 vert is perfect for that, also got some good eggs out of my pumilios and I wouldn't want to change anything. 10's fit easy in a rack.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I would definately say 15gal high verts, they have the same footprint as a 10 gallon so setting up your front doors is the same. They also fit perfect on the standard wire-rack systems that everyone uses.

The 10's only use 1/2 the shelf width of a rack so it was a waste of space and not deep enough for lots of broms. I also noted the 18gal high verts are too long and stick off the back of a rack system (when in vert position).

These are 15gal high verts (notice the front and back of the tank is the same size as the rack):

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Nice setup - I assume it's a 48 x 18 shelf? Also - FCA fronts/tops - or did you make them yourself (or none of the above)? Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions - trying to come up to speed as quickly as I can. John
You are exactly right on all accounts!! 48x18" shelves and fronts were made by FCA.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Iv bought some of my 15g tall tanks at Petco for $18.99

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Rob, those look very nice. I'm sure it's been covered before, but do you have any issues with warping? They look clean and I may think aobut trying some.

Iv bought some of my 15g tall tanks at Petco for $18.99
Wow, wish things were that cheap around here. I have only seen 10 gallons for $8-$10 and then 20s are $40.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
do you have any issues with warping?
My warping has been very minor, less than 1/2 the thickness of the acrylic. Nothing I would worry about, there is absolutely no gap on the door. Paul also changed the handle on the front to help stiffen the door. Instead of the little handle he used in the past, he installed a rib, or brace, that acts as a handle but is the length of the door front. I think it keeps the door warping to a minimum.

I aslo changed the vent covers from the standard black to clear (the outside edge of the vent remains black), I personally like it better.

I really like the doors and I plan on ordering 4 more this summer.

BTW: I paid $36 each for my AGA brand 15gal high aquariums

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Where did you get your 15 gal tank? Thanks.
I'm sorry, I didn't answer becuase someone else said where they found them.

I bought mine at Denny's Pet World in Kirkland, WA I have no idea if this is a chain-petstore or not but it is VERY nice and full of high quality vivarium supplies. I highly recomend checking it out. I also buy all my bog log there.

Sorry again!!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
...yeah, Denny's always has them in stock, but like I said, they are $36 each. They told me they used to carry the Island brand in the 15gal high but they were not built as nice and stopped carring them. They only have AGA (All Glass Aquarium) brand which I like. They only stock about two on the floor of this size (odd size) so I actually had them order me a few. They order was ready within 2 buisness days so just call ahead.

If you set up a vert tank, make sure you buy some aquarium-grade silicon and seal the bottom edge inside the tank. Aquariums are not made to hold water on the top lip so you must reinforce the top-edge bond before attaching your vert doors.

If available, you should check out the next WADS meeting on May15th at Darren Meyer's house, should be FUN!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
well i live in miami so that pretty far from you but i was told that not all petco's carry the same thing so it might be that they sell them here near me and not by you...

Jeremy

G

·
Just cam along this post....
Had to check with my local chain dealer PetSmart. I am getting 3 10g for 7.49 ea.
Just depends on the store I believe.

Going to jump out of reefing and jump into PDF.
Its a little different because you dont have to be so darned anal and it will be nice with the greenery in the winter.

·
Registered
44 Posts
How do you drain the verts with the FCA fronts and how do you mist? Hand mist? Bummer...... Can you drill the AGA? I thought it was tempered.
Liz

·
Registered
329 Posts
I would say that PetSmart has some of the best prices for tanks in the Seattle area. I go to the one in Lynnwood all the time and I am glad to see that they are putting one down the street from my house in Everett... Finally!

I have found that Denny's is somewhat over priced for stuff like tanks.
I do like the store though. The people are very friendly and they have a lot of stuff that you cannot find in big chain stores. They even had a huge Viv set up with darts for a while. They only one that I have seen in the area that the frogs actually looked like they were getting fed.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
How do you drain the verts with the FCA fronts and how do you mist? Hand mist? Bummer...... Can you drill the AGA? I thought it was tempered.
I believe you can drill the glass and install a bulkhead or drain. What I did was leave the front of the viv (closest to the door) as a pond. The cool thing is when looking at the viv from the front, you don't see substrate --> just nice clear water. I also found that since I have a water barrier between the door and "living space", FF will not be crawling on the front of the glass. So to drain, I take either a turkey baster or extra pump and suck the access water out. I have to do this about every 4 months with my setup (takes about 15min).

As for misting, I hand mist. I only have 7 tanks so it does not take much time and I use that opportunity to check the health of the frogs and look for eggs.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I have several 18 gallon tanks that I bought at Petsmart in South Hill for $18 each. They are just a bit taller than the 15 gallon tanks and still have the same footprint as a 10 gallon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts