Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i recently biult a rock wall seen herehttp://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/71693-20-gallon-long-rock-build.html
not completly finished yet but juat minor work

Now i know i dont need a waterfall at all, but i would really like to make one and have a whole plan on it but just a few question

Now let me start on the design of it and will follow by a picture to see it more clearly.on my left side i want a waterfall that flows into a river rock bed and then a very small pond.I know the land area is more needed(hence the small pond). But on the other side i would like to do a buttress tree with roots goes into the pond, as well have fake rocks to surround the pond. I will created most iof this out of stryofoam and some out of Great stuff foam. For the backing im planing on gs foam agian with peat moss and coco bedding.i will have a falso bottom cover with weed blocker.

Ive been on here day and night since getting back into PDFs months ago.Also learned all i can from this site as well as spending weeks on looking how to create a good water fall and buttress tree. I know these question have been answer but not to my design or desire. As well i want this a habitat to match were P.terribis mints live. I found a picture and hope to bring to life in here

or

http://ih1.redbubble.net/work.5664883.1.lp,375x360,b,m,T25lb250YSBGYWxscw==.jpg

Questions
1)i used drylok, but i learned that you cant use it if it will be submerge under water. So poeple use epoxy resin or i seen silicone .ive seen how expensive epoxy gets and would like to avoid that. Can i use marine silcone and cover everything that is submerged?
2)i would like a filter on this but dont know what. I was thinking about getting a pump and hooking it up to a zoomed 501 filter. or just use the zoomed filter instead and have the intake hose all the way at the end of behid the waterfall? is their another way or easier way?
3)As mention up there i want to put rocks submerge under water around the pond area, but should i leave cracks or openings in the rocks to let waterr through or have a pvc pipe connected from the pond to the the acess behid the waterfall?

i will start working on this project tomorrow and will like everyone to stay tuned to watch my progress.

Also all inputs and advice or and mistake ive may said or done please let me know so i can learn

-matt-

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm no expert but I think you're mistaken about the Drylok not being submersible. During my research on the product I have found numerous threads where Drylok is used in aquariums. Maybe someone with more experience can confirm this?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm no expert but I think you're mistaken about the Drylok not being submersible. During my research on the product I have found numerous threads where Drylok is used in aquariums. Maybe someone with more experience can confirm this?
I hope this is true. thats what i though

·
Registered
725 Posts
I hope this is true. thats what i though
yup people use it for aquarium backgrounds all the time. As far as i know, it holds up fine underwater although i have not personally tested this myself. I say if it holds up in cichlid tanks, then it *should* be fine underwater in a frog tank with just as much water flow. Just be sure to fully cover EVERYTHING before submerging them. If you are skeptical, then you could just get some gloves on, slather up some silicone, and massage everything that is submerged lol.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yup people use it for aquarium backgrounds all the time. As far as i know, it holds up fine underwater although i have not personally tested this myself. I say if it holds up in cichlid tanks, then it *should* be fine underwater in a frog tank with just as much water flow. Just be sure to fully cover EVERYTHING before submerging them. If you are skeptical, then you could just get some gloves on, slather up some silicone, and massage everything that is submerged lol.
thankyou haha

·
Registered
995 Posts
I've got to be honest, i think a 20 gallon is a little small for this, im not saying you shouldn't do one, i just think for that size, the pond would take up enough space as it is... although it is a great idea :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got to be honest, i think a 20 gallon is a little small for this, im not saying you shouldn't do one, i just think for that size, the pond would take up enough space as it is... although it is a great idea :D
thats what i have been thinking. but i want to see how it turns out

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm doing the same thing!! thought about it, then didn't want to do it. Looks too small for a waterfall but anyhow I end up doing it. I should be done by next week.

doing the same background method, and I'm using silicon I and silicon 2(brown) for the background.

Can't wait to see how yours and mine turn out!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm doing the same thing!! thought about it, then didn't want to do it. Looks too small for a waterfall but anyhow I end up doing it. I should be done by next week.

doing the same background method, and I'm using silicon I and silicon 2(brown) for the background.

Can't wait to see how yours and mine turn out!
hopefully you will stay tuned

1 - 10 of 10 Posts