Dendroboard banner

20 gallon Long Or 10 Gallon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK So I'm having trouble thinking should I use the 20 gal or 10 gal. The frogs are dendrobates auratus green morph.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK i knew bigger is better...the reason I suggested the 10 was its taller than the 20 is since dendrobates auratus is semi tree dwelling it would give them height to climb in.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Put bluntly....If you was stuck in a glass box for the rest of your life would you want 10 gallon or double that size? 10 gallon would only be of benefit to the keeper (cheaper,less plants to buy etc) If you had asked 20 or 30 i would say 30 gallon and so on.... but make sure the extra space is useable space in bigger tanks. just because the gallon size is bigger means nothing but fresh air when inside a tank without water! fish use extra gallon space! frogs cant unless the viv is cleverly set up with backgrounds, ledges plants, wood etc. Bigger tanks will benefit you also as they need draining and pruning less often. And look better usually in my opinion. all the best....ross

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ross thank You so much on clearing everything up...this is gonna be a short setup because I'm gonna upgrade to a 55 gallon. When I get all my saltwater stuff out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If its a temp set up then 10 gallon is fine depending on how many frogs your putting in there, but some people say they keep all there frogs in 10 gallons and have successfully bred large numbers of frogs in this size tank. Some also believe if you have your frogs breeding then they are living in ideal conditions so argue the fact that 10 gallons is fine, which maybe it is for some but i prefer larger tanks for frogs i keep, as i keep them as a hobby not hoard as many as i possibly can! (which obviously would mean smaller vivs) Just because something is breeding does not mean correct husbandry in my eyes there is a lot more to it than that. Keep 2 dogs in a small kennel and feed and water them and they will breed, these are not ideal conditions though...as an example, but because we deal in frogs some people find it acceptable to (in my opinion) keep frogs in basically that way....ross

·
Registered
39 Posts
fair play mate, have fun with your build, just finished one last week for 3 highland lamasi that i got on saturday. Its a exo terra 45x45x60 high. not sure what gallon size it is without working it out. all the best....ross

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's dude and I'm in the process of getting the stuff so soon I will be building it ill have pics up when I do though. And you got some nice frogs there

1 - 15 of 15 Posts